Stokes Sounds Off: Provo City Center Dedication

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Sunday, March 20, 2016

Provo City Center Dedication

As all you Utahns (and those who care enough about the news of the LDS Church) are aware, the Provo City Center Temple was dedicated today, and I was very intrigued to see that, in addition to the temples in progress in Latter-days, Rick Satterfield, begun adding to this list those temples built in ancient times. It’s not yet a comprehensive list; he hasn’t yet included the temples found in the Book of Mormon, but I have taken the liberty of reminding him to do so, which he doesn’t seem to mind. Also, wanted to let you know that it was Elder Dallin H. Oaks who, at the invitation of the First Presidency, presided at the dedication, which was a total surprise to me. I knew he'd likely have some role in the dedicatory services, but I didn't know he'd be the presiding officer at the actual dedication. I shouldn't have been surprised. Elder Oaks' ties to the area make him the natural choice, which I should have remembered. Up until today, I hadn't really registered that he was a senior member of the Twelve now, with the deaths of all his predecessors except President Nelson. Dang, I need to get used to writing President Nelson as well. I also wanted to let you all know that I am religiously (pun intended) keeping an eye on the Church and local news for the latest reported updates. If the Church News website and lds.org do what they've done in the past with Utah dedications, they will release within a few short hours a complete list of who did what in every dedicatory session. This will be especially important to me because, due to personal illness, I was unable to be in attendance at any of the dedicatory sessions at this historic event. I will keep an eye out for that list of the participants, and you can bet that I will inform you whenever it becomes available so it can be included on this site, if you like. It always honors me to know that people of your caliber are keeping up-to-date on my blog posts. As always, best wishes to you all, and thanks so much to you all for your friendship and attention to this blog.
While we wait for further news about the particular participants at this temple dedication, the Church News has featured two articles on the cultural celebration and dedication. Also for the benefit of all my readers, here’s a link to those articles:

Late breaking news before this post was made: The Church News article is in error on one point, and that is that Elder Oaks presided at all three sessions. The photo gallery within the article shows that President Russell M. Nelson (written more easily this time) was in attendance at one of the later sessions and that he was the presiding authority at that session. That’s the latest on the temple news front. Stay tuned for more updates, and thanks so much for your readership and support, especially to those who have also religiously followed my newer posts while personal illness and family circumstances have necessitated my extended absence from Facebook (where the posts are usually immediately advertised once made), and especially to all those who have been kind enough to leave a comment for me with your feedback on what I have to say. Your comments are always insightful and appreciated, especially those that have been positive and particularly kind in nature. I feel it appropriate “On This Day of Joy and Gladness” to leave you for starters with the words that end each broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word (psst, don’t tell the MoTab or Lloyd Newell, who might sue me for copyright violation): “Again [I] leave you, from within the shadows of the everlasting hills. May Peace be [in and] with you this day, and always. God be with [you all] till [my next post].” From the Book of Mormon: “And thus hath the Lord commanded me [to write], and I must obey.” At the end of such a spiritually-charged post, it feels very appropriate that my last words in this post are a paraphrase from a powerful hymn that is sung at every temple dedication in this dispensation, and which, I’m sure, enshrouded the dedicatory services with the special spirit that it brings.

The Spirit of God, like a fire, is burning!
The latter-day glory begins to come forth.
The visions and blessings of old are returning,
And angels are coming to visit the earth.

The Lord is extending the Saint’s understanding,
Restoring their judges and all as at first.
The knowledge and power of God are expanding,
And angels are coming to visit the earth.

We’ll call in our solemn assemblies in spirit,
To spread forth the kingdom of heaven abroad.
That we, through our faith, may begin to inherit,
The visions, and blessings, and glories of God!

How blessed the day when the lamb and the lion
Shall lie down together without any ire.
And Ephraim be crowned with his blessing in Zion,
As Jesus descends with his chariot of fire.

We’ll sing and we’ll shout with the armies of heaven,
Hosanna, Hosanna, to God and the Lamb!
Let glory to them in the highest be given.
Henceforth and forever, Amen and Amen!


In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.