Stokes Sounds Off: An Angel to Watch Over Me--A Belated Mother's Day Tribute

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

An Angel to Watch Over Me--A Belated Mother's Day Tribute

Hello, dear readers. I haven't forgotten my long-promised intention to write a personal update. But with all the Church News lately (some of which I will focus on in other posts over the next little while), I have put that on hold for a future time yet to be determined. This post covers a very special topic to me.

Sunday, as many of you know, was Mother's Day. I called my mom Saturday night to see how she was doing and to wish her a Happy Mother's Day. It was, as it always is, wonderful to talk to her. In that special way she had, she answered only a few inquiries from me about how she and my dad were doing. Instead, she wanted to talk about me and Amy. She knew we had a lot going on. She also well knows that Mother's Day is always a difficult one for Amy because Amy lost her mom to complications of MS before we ever started dating. For the years preceding her mother's death, Amy and her brother Troy were Mom Nuttall's care givers. As a result, Amy felt a deep connection to her mom. Mother's Day is always hard for Amy because she's without her mother. I think my mom understands best how Amy feels, because Mom lost her  own mom a few years ago. So my mom asked me to be sure and tell Amy that she was thinking of her this weekend and praying that it would be a good one for her. If that wasn't enough, on Mother's Day, she sent Amy herself a text echoing the sentiments she had expressed to me the previous evening.

As I have thought about my mom, I can't imagine how I'd feel if I didn't have her around anymore. For the first 20-some-odd years of my life, she was my caregiver and my advocate with the doctors and our pharmacies. She selflessly put her own life aside to ensure my siblings and I always had what we needed. I know that finishing college is one of her dreams, and I hope I can play some part in the future in making that happen. She constantly gives to other people, even and especially when that means more work for her. My mom came to America on a "short vacation" and has yet to make it back "home" to South Africa. She has constantly put her life and needs on hold to serve and minister to people. I can't say enough of this dear woman and the impact she has had on my life.

I could say the same about the many other "mothers" I've had throughout the years: ward members who provided my family with extra care and service when needed; my beloved grandmothers, aunts, and cousins (by both blood and adoption) whose examples are such a strength to me; my dearest older sister Joanna (whose active presence in my life I greatly miss, as I can no longer just pick up the phone anytime and hear her voice); my sweet younger sister Elizabeth (who is preparing to be a first-time mother), my sisters-in-law; and my dear mother-in-law that I have yet to meet, to whom much of the credit for her daughter being so wonderful belongs; the women I have known and served with as a missionary and temple worker, and so the list could go on.

And in mentioning those who have mother hearts and live mother lives, how can I forget to add my beloved eternal companion, Amy? She made it clear when we met that she had no interest or desire whatsoever in being a mother to me (which is very refreshing to me, as so many women before her viewed me merely as someone who brought out their innate abilities to mother). Amy is unique in so many ways, but particular in the fact that she is a mother, a mother without children. I will have to work hard to become a father. But Amy is already and will continue to be the very best mother, grandmother, and any infinite number of great-grandmothers this world has ever seen. All of the good things that have come into my life in the past six or seven years we've known each other can be traced back to my meeting and deciding to marry Amy.

I know that there is not a sufficient amount of words I could say to convey the depth of my feelings about mothers in general and the mothers in my life in particular. The closest I can come to adequately doing so is to quote two songs about mothers, then close with my testimony of mothers.

The first song is by Steven Jones. It's called, "A Mother's Eyes Reflect the Love of Heaven," Its' beautiful lyrics are:
A mother’s eyes reflect the love of heaven.
A love borne long before this life began.
A love which grows each day,
Which will not fade away,
A love inspired by Heavenly Father’s plan.

A mother’s hands reflect a life of service,
A life of sacrifice for those she loves,
And with her giving hands
She shapes the soul of man,
Prepares him for eternal life above.

A mother’s words teach children righteous living,
And her example leads them to the light,
She speaks the words of truth
That guide their tender youth,
And points the course they take throughout their lives.

A mother’s life reflects itself in our life,
Her ways of living are ingrained in ours,
And through the changing years
And days of joy and tears,
Her love will lead us on,
Her words will point the course,
Her hands will lift us up to God.

The second song is by Sally DeFord, an LDS mother. It's called "An Angel to Watch Over Me." The lyrics for that song are:

She watched by my cradle through long, sleepless nights.
She taught me to pray as she knelt by my side.
She guarded my childhood, and all through the years,
She echoed my laughter, she counted my tears.
In the arms of my mother, I came to believe
That God sent an angel to watch over me.

She taught me the meaning of courage and faith.
She taught me to live with the Lord as my strength.
She taught me to follow the pathway He marked.
She guided my steps when the journey grew dark.
And I know there were dangers that I could not see,
But God sent an angel to watch over me.

She taught me to serve with a spirit that sings.
She taught me to seek after heavenly things.
And because of her love and her kindness and care,
Because of the place that I hold in her prayers,
And because of her goodness, I still believe
That God sent an angel to watch over me.

I testify that mothers are truly angels sent from the presence of God. How fortunate we are to have mothers in our lives. We are constantly blessed by their kindness, compassion, love, and angelic support. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.