Stokes Sounds Off: Update on the average ages of the Brethren

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Update on the average ages of the Brethren

Since it has been a couple of weeks since I posted on the average ages of the Brethren, I thought I'd do that with this post, which, if I am correct, would be a great topic for this, my first post in November 2016.

As of this Sunday, November 6, 2016, the average age of the First Presidency will 82.88, with only President Uchtdorf being younger than that average. The average age of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will be 74.43, with exactly half each of those twelve being older and younger than the average. The average age of the 15 apostles will be 76.12, with 8 of the 15 apostles being younger than that average. I wanted to also report that the apostle closest to that apostolic average is Elder Quentin L. Cook, who will be 76.16 on Sunday. Just by way of other facts to make your head spin, we have 17 apostles of the 100 called that have lived to be over 90. If the apostles closest to that milestone live that long, the number of nonagenarian apostles will increase to 22 before the 200th anniversary of the Church. It is anyone's guess how many apostles reach that monumental milestone.

The averages mentioned in the paragraph above will be vastly affected by what happens to the face of Church leadership in the next several years. The average age of the First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and apostles as a group will be lowered if, as I said in the last post, Elder Bednar is added to the First Presidency and a new apostle is called.

Hope you enjoyed this trivia. Thanks for your readership and friendship.

4 comments:

  1. What has been the average age at death of all LDS apostles including prophet and first presidency since the restoration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That I don't know. But I can refer you to http://www.ldsfacts.net/apostleg.htm, which shows some interesting apostolic averages. LDS Facts has all kinds of trivia about General Authorities, with a special focus on apostles. That website can answer your questions better than I can. Enjoy studying that site. It's a good one. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept being bothered by the fact that I couldn't find a better answer to your question. So I did some more searching, and among the pages about apostolic statistics is one that lists, by the end of each calendar year in Church history, the average ages of the First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and the apostles as a group. The link below takes you to that page, and should give a better answer to the question than the one I gave above. Enjoy! http://www.ldsfacts.net/apostlbb.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I kept being bothered by the fact that I couldn't find a better answer to your question. So I did some more searching, and among the pages about apostolic statistics is one that lists, by the end of each calendar year in Church history, the average ages of the First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and the apostles as a group. The link below takes you to that page, and should give a better answer to the question than the one I gave above. Enjoy! http://www.ldsfacts.net/apostlbb.htm

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.