Stokes Sounds Off: BREAKING NEWS: The apostle most likely to dedicate the Hartford Connecticut Temple this Sunday

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Friday, November 18, 2016

BREAKING NEWS: The apostle most likely to dedicate the Hartford Connecticut Temple this Sunday

While I am consistently increasing the number of people who regularly read my blog, I'm honestly not sure how many of you read any posted comments. This late breaking news post is necessary because of something a guy named Kenny said in a comment on my latest blog post.

 He said he thought he recalled hearing that either Elder M. Russell Ballard or Elder Jeffrey R. Holland had some ties to the Connecticut area. Being the naturally curious person that I am when it comes to knowing or learning as much as I can about our apostles, I did my research. I simply googled "Which LDS apostle has ties to Connecticut?"

One of the top results was the biography of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, which reported him doing some post-graduate studying in the Connecticut area, which is where he first launched his lifelong teaching career. He even served in two stake presidencies during the time he resided in the area.

Given Elder Holland's special connection to the area and the people in it, and given the fact that Elder David A. Bednar was asked to preside at the dedication of the Star Valley Wyoming temple primarily because of his wife's ties to Star Valley, I now feel safe in predicting that either Elder Holland himself will preside at the dedication of the Hartford temple this Sunday, or else he will accompany the one who presides. But of the two options, given the Star Valley precedent, I think it most likely he will be the one to preside. Let me know your thoughts in the comments below. My thanks to all those who tnot only ake time to read not only my main posts, but who also wade through the few but often profound and sometimes overlooked comments on this blog.

I have often said that I began blogging as a way to personally digitize and journal the events of my life. When the blog became mainly about Church news, I know I may have lost some who, up to that point, had consistently checked it. But I very much appreciate and tip my hat off to all those who continue to come back for more, whether the focus is on Church news or us personally. I cannot overstate the significance I feel is lent to this blog and its content because of those who care enough to regularly check it, regardless of whether they see my posts advertised on Facebook or in the comments of the LDS Church Blog.

When I first started "sounding off" online, I didn't think my blog would ever be significant or far-reaching, nor could I imagine regular readers and followers who without fail read everything I post, regardless of the nature of the content. And to think there are people out there who not only read my blog but take time to read and sometimes respond to the comments here. This blog will likely never have as much traffic as blogs such as the LDS Church Growth blog, or even the Church's main blog, but it doesn't have to. It is more than enough for me to know that I have even a handful of regular readers who are paying attention to anything and everything posted here. I have even had a couple of people who got to know me through this blog with whom I am now friends on Facebook, and I never in my wildest dreams could have conceived that this blog would be the success it is. Thanks again, and may the Lord bless you all.

12 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog and comments you place on other blogs. I regularly read this one, LDS Church growth, LDSchurchtemples.com, LDStoday.com, ldspioneerarchitecture.blogspot.com. and the LDS news on sltrib and desert news. I check updates on all three BYU's newsrooms as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, you inspire me. With all the reading you do, it can't have been an easy decision to put my blog in the category of things upon which you regularly check and comment. But I can always count on your thoughtful feedback. You have the distinction of being one of the few I mentioned above who have requested my friendship on Facebook due to simply getting to know me through this blog. I am glad I asked Matt, the blogger of the LDS Church Growth blog, among many others, for permission to share his posts on my blog, and that I received his permission to advertise my blog posts in the comments section on his blog. I believe it was through one of those advertised posts that we connected, and now an easy friendship that began that way has been extended to Facebook. I don't know how well I may have explained this, but while I check my blog daily and try to post regularly, my time on Facebook has been severely cut lately due to personal circumstances. On average, I am lucky if I manage to get on Facebook once or twice a month. So if you ever need to get my attention for any reason, the comments on my blog are the easiest and most effective way to do that. I have a lot going on right now that severely affects my ability to function at full capacity most days. If that alarms you, I apologize. Rest assured, I am well enough. Just a lot going on, and some of it is preventing me from living the full life I generally do. I have been meaning to do a long-overdue personal update on this blog to explain what's going on, and I will before too much longer, but in the meantime, rest assured that I can't and won't let a day go by during which I don't at least check the blog for comments. And, given all that's going on in the Church and with us personally, you can always depend on regular updates. I'll fill in the blanks at a later time when I feel I can appropriately gather my thoughts and explain what's going on. Until that time, as the saying goes, all is well in Zion. Thanks, as always, for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it will be President Eyring dedicating the Temple. He is presiding at the cultural celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good. I had not heard that. Elder Holland's presence, given what I found out about his ties to the area, has a vested interest in this temple. I am glad he was able to accompany President Eyring there. It is likewise excellent to hear that President Eyring may still be more involved in the work of the Church than I originally believed him to be. I am glad he and his wife were well enough to allow him to be there for this. Thanks for that tidbit. I was not aware of that. In the back of my mind, I realized that tonight was the night for the Hartford cultural celebration, but, with all that's going on with me right now, it somehow slipped my mind until reading your comment just now. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your Ensign article. Enjoyed it. Did not know it was you until you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear that, Chris. I hope what I wrote made a difference for you personally. I have often felt that, if I find out my life experiences has helped bring just one person to the Savior, my life will have been a success. More people have expressed an interest in me personally and in this blog as a result of reading that article. I keep checking in the hopes that any of the Church magazines might need articles, but as of right now, it appears they have all the articles they can accommodate for the immediate and near future. If that changes, I have worked up one or two I would like to submit. For me, it was a nice way to share my experiences. Picking up a little extra money by signing the rights to the article over to the Church wasn't bad either. I originally submitted that article years ago, but it was only last year that the process of getting it published came about. It was an awesome experience I definitely wouldn't mind repeating. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know other magazines have great stories as well. Have you considered Readers Digest or other magazines? It might be a great way to share your testimony too. They might want a more secular slant, but it could still open opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a promising prospect, to be sure, and I thank you for mentioning that, but my strength seems to be in writing about the religion I love. And I'm not sure the world is ready to embrace some of the things I might have to share. But I will consider it. Thanks for that tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a promising prospect, to be sure, and I thank you for mentioning that, but my strength seems to be in writing about the religion I love. And I'm not sure the world is ready to embrace some of the things I might have to share. But I will consider it. Thanks for that tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when president Hinckley wrote "Standing for Something", he wrote it for the general public. I also believe he chose a national publisher instead of Deseret Book. It was inspirational without being overly religious. Although he did mention having faith and being a church leader.

      Delete
    2. Right you are. I'm not ruling out the possibility of other outlets to share my faith, and I will give the idea every due consideration. But my mind has lately been focused on what has been going on in Church news and personally for me. I'm afraid that aside from making sure I post regular updates, because of all that's going on, I won't be able to give proper focus to writing and earning my living from that until after I have that examination on December 1 about which I posted above. But, as I have previously said, I will consider it. Now's not exactly the best time to turn my full attention to my writing endeavors. As always, thanks for the comment.

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.