Stokes Sounds Off: Happy New Year 2017!

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Sunday, January 1, 2017

Happy New Year 2017!

Hello, all! This is my first blog post of 2017 (which, through circumstances beyond my control, was written early enough to technically be viewed as my last post for 2016). As I commemorate the start of yet another year, my heat swells with gratitude to realize just how far I've come as a blogger since this time last year. 2016 was a big year for me in terms of blogging. I covered a variety of topics, including personal news and updates, some political and world developments, and so many milestone posts about Church growth and development, with special emphasis on various temple-related posts. There have been unnumbered temple construction progress reports, lots of posts regarding possible future temple sites, and even a few related to when future temple events might be announced and scheduled. It was during 2016 that I was advised, much to my great astonishment, that my blog was one of the top Google search results in terms of such future developments. That is gratifying, humbling, and more than a little terrifying. As I have explained many times in the past, I have been instructed in my patriarchal blessing that my life's purpose is to lift and encourage others, and I feel that my best way to do that is to keep the world informed about developments and news about the Church I have loved since I was old enough to know I could gain my own testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel. Through my extensive gospel study, I have come to know for myself, with unshakable certainty, that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's Church, and that the work done within, by and through the Church is the Lord's work. He is in full control of all facets of this great work, and miracles have not ceased to happen. Thoughout my life, I have been the very unworthy recipient of far more miracles than I can count, and because of that, I know that there is a purpose behind everything we experience in our lives, and there are few if any so-called coincidences. While we all do have the absolute freedom to determine how we will live our lives, whe we turn ourselves and the events of our lives over to the capabale hands of the Lord, He can sanctify any experiences we may have for our good. Since the Savior willingly paid the price to redeem us from the effects of our transgressions, and since He has borne all of our trials, we do not walk alone in our lives. The greatest miracle of all is the softening and changing of the human heart. I have had that change of heart in many ways. My experiences, such as they have been, have served to bring me closer to the Lord. And because of my closeness to Him, I feel a solemn obligation to bear the witness and testimony I have and to share that with the world. The Ensign article I was able to write and which I had published in 2015 was one such opportunity to do so. And, especially lately, this blog has become another outlet to continue doing so. I am humbled and very grateful for the success which I have achieved. I am also continually touched by people who have told me they take time to regularly read my blog. And when I think that some who have read my blog take time to comment on almost everything I post, especially when added to those who have requested my friendship on Facebook as a result of simply getting to know me here.

And so, it is with that sense of gratitude and sense of obligation that I feel to share my witness with the world, even in this small way, that I look forward to continuing in the traditions which I have recently established here as a blogger.  I anxiously await word of the developments with the Church that will no doubt happen in terms of general Church news and events and also everything we will see in terms of temple construction progress and events. You can depend on hearing about these developments as soon as I hear word of them, provided there are no obstacles preventing me from doing so. Thank you so much. Happy New Year! Stay tuned for much more in the not-too-distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.