Stokes Sounds Off: 3 Major Church Events To Be Held Tomorrow

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Friday, March 3, 2017

3 Major Church Events To Be Held Tomorrow

Hello. Just wanted to do a quick reminder post that there will be 3 major Church events held tomorrow. President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency, and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles are currently in New York preparing for the Face-to-Face Event for the youth of the Church that will be held at around 10:00 AM MST. During the event, youth of the Church around the world will be able to submit questions and have them answered in real time. This is the first such event to be held in English this year, and the focus of the questions will be set around the event of the First Vision and on James 1:5-6, which is not only the passage of scripture that led to the First Vision, but also the designated theme for Mutual this year. I love the idea that the Lord will give wisdom to those who ask for it. I have sought for and received such wisdom when I lacked it several times.

That said, as part of this post, I wanted to mention the preparation for the process of asking for and receiving wisdom. Some have the erroneous idea that answers will come just for the asking. But it is only after we have followed the scriptural injunction to "study it out in [our] minds" and then ask that the answers come. As many apostles have observed on numerous  occasions, if the Lord just handed us the answers without us doing the work to be informed on an issue, it would lead to us becoming weak, relying on the Lord for guidance when He trusts us to use our own wisdom and judgment, and to our failure to govern our own lives sufficiently. And generally, at least for me, I have found that my best inquiries of the Lord have come when I have already settled on a course of action, rather than expecting Him to do the choosing for me. The Lord's answers do not come in response to multiple choice questions. Once we have decided what to ask and how to ask it, our ability to clearly get the answer He is willing to give us comes into play. This is precisely why I had little or no patience for the journalist that recently griped against the Church Public Affairs Department for not being more transparent: if he had done his research, the questions would not have been necessary.

That aside, the other two events are the groundbreakings for the Arequipa Peru and Rio de Janeiro Brazil temples. I have on good authority that while construction is set to begin almost immediately on the Peru temple, the one in Brazil will be joining the one in Winnipeg in the category of temples that have had a groundbreaking, but will not progress further until some other undisclosed and unknown issues are properly dealt with. That said, it is entirely possible that both of these temples will be finished around the end of 2019, as one is bigger and more complex in size and design than the other. (I will have to double-check to find out which is which).

So it will be an exciting day for the Church. Within a period of roughly four hours, all of these events will have taken place. What a privilege it is to live in this wonderful era when so many exciting developments are taking place at around the same time.

Thanks for reading this. Any comments are welcome and appreciated. Stay tuned for a full report on these events coming at some point tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. During the groundbreaking ceremony for the Rio de Janeiro temple, Elder Costa gestured toward the heavy equipment on site and said that construction is scheduled to begin next week. That's a good sign that we could see completion of this temple earlier than the end of 2019. It certainly is an exciting day for the Church, James. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick, thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I was not aware of that. What about Arequipa? Will construction start right away there? I will have to look back at the information I have available and maybe revise my predictions in that regard. Thanks again so much. I am planning on posting an updated temple construction progress report once I do enough research to revise my predictions in this regard. In the meantime, I always value any continued feedback you can give me. Thanks again, Rick!

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.