Stokes Sounds Off: Important Personal Update: Job Terminated/Health Problems

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Important Personal Update: Job Terminated/Health Problems

Hello, all! Sad news to report on two personal fronts today. As some of you may be aware, I have had some severe health issues that have kept me from working for a couple of weeks, and which caused my work productivity to not be good when I was there the last couple of days I was able to come in to work. I found out this week that if I failed to come in today by 3, my supervisors would consider it job abandonment. I made every possible effort to come in, but as my team leader had directed me to not do so without a doctor's note covering my absences, I had to wait until I could get a note excusing me from work. So I met today with the project manager, Trent Ginnett, who had hired me, and with Nick Sharp, who is the boss of ROI's branches in this part of Utah County. Nick asked why I had not been in for the last little while without contacting anyone. I responded that I had let my team leader know every day as soon as I knew I wouldn't be able to come in. I explained what was happening with my health. They let me know that, while they sympathized with my health issues, the strict attendance policies at ROI had to be enforced, and that they felt it would be best for the project in general and ROI in particular if my employment was terminated.

It did not come as a great surprise.  Even though I had made every effort to inform my team leader when I would be absent as soon as I knew, she had not bothered to relay my messages to management. So I had known it would be just a matter of time before the termination happened.

Oddly enough, I am not broken up about it. While I will miss my renewed association with those I had worked with at both locations, it was simply not worth trying to force myself to be there when I felt so ill and when the doctor concurred that I should not come in.

So as of 7 hours ago, I am once again unemployed. My older sister, who seems to be intuitive about what's going on with me, had sent me a text earlier today to let me know that the call center her husband had previously worked for was hiring for at-home positions. I applied for that position, knowing that my termination from ROI would happen this afternoon. Unfortunately, my internet kicked me out of the application before I could save it or complete it, and by the time I got things fixed, the listing for the position was no longer on the website.

I have received a lead regarding another at-home position, and I think that would be ideal, if I can make it work. But I will also be meeting with many of my other doctors as I have been advised to do. When I went into urgent care on Monday, the attending doctor confirmed I had a double-infection, and voiced his concern that something else might be going on, including perhaps a shunt problem. He gave me a second antibiotic (I had finished my first one for this situation just a few days prior) and ordered some blood work to try and see if any other issues could be detected.

So now, I wait for those results. In the meantime, I am doing my very best to make sure we will be covered financially. We had fortunately gotten our annual tax refund a little while ago. And I see one of my main doctors on Friday. Hopefully she will have some insight as far as what else might be going on with me.

Prayers are, as always, appreciated. I also appreciate any comments on anything I post. I will keep you all updated as I can on things as they happen. In the meantime, given everything that is happening with us, we are in surprisingly good spirits. The Lord will bless us with what we need.

And when the time is right, I fully anticipate being able to work again, whether at home or in an office setting. Thanks to you all for your kindness, interest, and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.