Stokes Sounds Off: LDS Church Discontinues its' Varsity and Venture Scouting Programs

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Thursday, May 11, 2017

LDS Church Discontinues its' Varsity and Venture Scouting Programs

Big news from the LDS Church today. Effective January 1, 2018, the Church will no longer sponsor nor provide direct support for Varsity and Venture Scouting Units. The directive has come down from the First Presidency that instead of such an extension of the scouting program, emphasis will instead be placed on activities for boys ages 14-18 that will best foster physical, emotional, spiritual and emotional well-being, and that it will be the responsibility of those who serve in local Young Men presidencies and quorum leadership of those ages, in connection with bishoprics and branch presidencies, to implement a new activity plan that will allow for that growth. This move also shifts direct responsibility for a scout's earning their Eagle to be self-motivated and work on their own to achieve that. If any scout ages 14-18 elects to do so, they are fully able to join with official local chapters of the BSA to have the external support and leadership they need. The hope is also that this move will encourage more Scouts to earn their Eagles prior to age 14.

Some have stated their view that the Church is doing this in reaction to the decision of the BSA to allow openly gay and transgender boys to join local scout troops, or in response to the BSA's consideration of allowing girls to participate in the Scouting program. The Church made it clear today that this is not the case. Church leaders have long deliberated the merits of continuing their involvement with and endorsement of the scouting program, and the Church stated a long time ago that Church leaders on every level would be studying the matter and doing the best they could to make a decision that works best for all concerned. This announcement suggests that this is what the Church has felt inspired to do on this matter.

As one who has earned my Eagle Scout award, I have to say that I personally applaud this decision. I spent my Cub Scout and Boy Scout years in Payson and American Fork Utah, where I worked with leaders that encouraged me to adhere to the standards of both the BSA and the Church. As a disabled young man, I gained courage to work towards my own Eagle Scout award not just because I felt it was expected of me, and not just because I felt it would be easy. Rather, I knew it would be worth my time to do so. And I had leaders all along the way that patiently mentored me, supported me, and encouraged me. It was not at all uncommon for other young men in my Scout troop to achieve the rank of Eagle by the age of 14.

I earned my Eagle the summer between my sophomore and junior years of High School, and it was mostly because I was motivated to do it myself, and because I had leaders who were willing to think outside the box and work around the limitations of my health conditions and disabilities. Many times, they petitioned the BSA to allow me to do alternate merit badges to qualify for my Eagle as many of the required ones were things I could not handle physically. The main reason I earned my Eagle was because I had that leader support and because I was driven to do it for myself. And I have never once regretted the fact that I am and always will be an Eagle Scout. Many of the things I learned in Scouting still bless my life today.

And so, to any Scout out there who reads my blog posts, I would say, don't let this policy change discourage you from becoming an Eagle Scout. As I had leaders that supported and motivated me to to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout, so you will have such leaders yourself. This does not diminish or downgrade the importance and prestige associated with that honor. Rather, it is a reiteration of policies that have always been in place but are now being emphasized more: A scout is to do his duty to God and to his country not just because of the support of his local Church leaders or his troop, but because it is the Scouting way. And if someone like myself can become an Eagle Scout, the way will be open for you to do so as well, no matter how hard that might seem.

For those who would like to read more on today's announcement, click here and here. If any of you, my readers, have any questions about my own experience or regarding these changes that you feel I might be able to answer as one who has been in the program and understands the reasoning, please don't hesitate to ask. More coming in a minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.