Stokes Sounds Off: Temple-related News and Developments

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Monday, July 17, 2017

Temple-related News and Developments

Hello, all! Just posting here with the results of some additional study I did this last weekend on temple-related news and developments. First, I found out that the Port-au-Prince Haiti Temple is anticipated to be comparable to the size of the Kinshasa Democratic Republic of the Congo Temple. With that in mind, it is not hard to believe that the construction on Haiti's first temple could be completed and a dedication could follow sometime during mid-to-late 2020. Of course, that is subject to change based on what happens as the construction process unfolds.

Second, I found out that there are at least 3 temples that could also potentially have a groundbreaking prior to the end of this year. The question is, how likely are any of them to actually happen? The answer is still being determined. I don't doubt the possibility. Anything is possible. But until it is probable, the three that were mentioned (Harare Zimbabwe, Urdaneta Philippines, and Lima Peru Los Olivos) may remain where they are for the moment on my report. As always, I will pass along any updates to my thinking as things unfold and as more is known.

Third, I did some studying on how likely or feasible it might be to anticipate an expansion of some kind for the temples that are scheduled for renovation. My study reminded me that, as part of his "smaller temple" revelation, President Hinckley had stated that many of this new generation of smaller temples were being built to be small initially, with the idea that extra room on the land plots of some temples (if any) would allow an expansion if and when that was deemed advisable. I also learned this weekend that some congregations within the Raleigh North Carolina temple district were notified that an  expansion was not in the immediate  plans for that temple.

That said, with the additional study I did on these scheduled renovations, I have come to the following conclusions: An expansion may be possible for the Memphis Tennessee, Asuncion Paraguay, Raleigh North Carolina, and Baton Rouge Louisiana Temples. There is space on the lots for such expansions. Each of these temples has a similar or almost identical design. You may notice one newer temple that is absent from this list: the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Temple. I ran the numbers and conversions necessary on that. Unless I miscalculated (which is always possible), it appears that the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Temple as it now is takes up the entire area of the land plot on which it sits. With the four others, there is room within the lot size for expansion.

So, again on this subject, it comes to a question of possibility versus probability. Any of these temples might possibly expand: the question is, will they? We do know on Memphis that the renovation will change the exterior and interior look of the temple, but nothing beyond that. Oklahoma, as noted above, takes up the entire area of the lot size. The only other one I know anything about is Raleigh, and if member information is correct, an expansion is not in the plans. That said, the information came from a meeting about the renovation that was held by one stake within that district fairly shortly after renovation plans were announced. As the process evolves, perhaps a determination will be made that an expansion is feasible and should be done. Or maybe it is in the plans and it has yet to be disclosed to all involved.

Any of the others may be expanded. Whether or not that will actually happen remains to be seen. That is what study I have done this weekend on the question has shown. In regards to the other renovations (for the Oakland California, Tokyo Japan, and Mesa Arizona Temples), they are older but the announcement on those renovations indicated that each temple would be having electrical and mechanical upgrades inside and out to bring them into conformity with newest building codes.

It was great for me to be able to spend some time on researching this this last weekend. One other thing is certain: Whatever temple-related developments do take place over the next several years, this blog will be one of many sources that will report on such developments and will keep people up to date on all of that. Stay tuned for more information as I receive it and am able to pass that along.

I also wanted to note that the commenting problem is still an issue, which I am working on as I am able. I hope to have answers sooner rather than later, including some resolution to the dilemma. I miss the feedback. If any of you do need to reach me with a comment on something I have said in my blog posts, please reach out to me via either Facebook or through my contact information on my Blogger profile. Thanks, as always, for your kind attention, concern, and support, to say nothing of the privilege of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.