Stokes Sounds Off: Changing my original thoughts about the potential name for the second temple in Manila

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Changing my original thoughts about the potential name for the second temple in Manila

Hello again, everyone, as we mark the beginning of the month of November. As some of you may remember, at one point a month or two ago, I had expressed my opinion that the second temple to be built in Manila Philippines might be named the Alabang Manila Temple. Since that time, I have not published any update on that, and when I published a full version of that report earlier this week, I had removed any unofficial name for that temple. It is anticipated that the Church may announce the official name at any point in the future, whether prior to the groundbreaking for that temple, or at very least during that ceremony, whenever that might happen.

So then the question arises, what might that temple be named. I have heard a few possibilities floating around, and any one of them could be possible. I list those here, in no particular order, with the exception of the last one, which seems to be the most likely possibility.

Manila Philippines Temple (the idea behind that one seems to be that, since the temple currently known by that name is actually located in the area known as Quezon City in Metro-Manila, that temple would be renamed the Quezon City Philippines Temple)
Manila Philippines Muntinlupa Temple
Manila Philippines Muntinlupa City Temple
Muntinlupa Philippines Temple
Muntinlupa City Philippines Temple
Manila Philippines Alabang Temple

That is the complete list of possibilities I have heard floating around. That said, I want to hear your thoughts on these possibilities. Have I overlooked anything? Which do you feel are most likely? That does it for this post. Thank you for the privilege of your time. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray the Lord's blessings will be upon all of you.

4 comments:

  1. My thoughts are probably Manila Philippines Muntinlupa Temple. Due to Family search codes for ordinances I don't think there will be much of a name change for the Manila temple. At least keep Manila in the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that comment, Chris! I heard from a few people that many in the Philippines are referring to this temple as the Alabang temple, which is why the last name on this list seems more likely. That said, Church leaders could choose a name on no one's list. I know that many here in Utah were surprised when the second temple in Provo was named the Provo City Center Temple. It will be interesting to see. As always, I hope you know how much I appreciate your thoughts, Chris!

      Delete
  2. The names of the temples in Lima seem like a good indicator for what may happen in Manila. We have the Lima Peru Temple and the Lima Peru Los Olivos Temple. So, we will likely have the Manila Philippines Temple and the Manila Philippines Alabang Temple or the Manila Philippines Muntinlupa Temple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again, Rick! It was interesting to me to see the way the second Lima Peru Temple was named for the district in which it will be built. That's why I can see the case for the two names you mentioned. The feedback I have received from a number of sources indicates that either might be possible. And even though some (myself included) might favor the name of the temple including Alabang, I can definitely see the case for Muntinlupa. There are names on this list above that don't seem like a very likely possibility, but I have included them because one or two people have mentioned the possibility. As mentioned above, one or two people suggested to me that the Church could rename the first Manila Temple the Quezon City Temple, and the new temple could be renamed the Manila Philippines Temple, but as Chris observed in his comment above, the Family History codes would have to change, which doesn't happen all that often. It will be interesting to see what the Church elects to do in that regard. And hopefully I will be able to find out about that and pass it along shortly after the name is officially released, just as I was able to do last year with the second Lima Temple. I appreciate your comment in this regard.

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.