Stokes Sounds Off: Temple Site Possibilities: Temple Site Possibilities: South America Northwest Area, Part One--Area and Temple Overview

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Temple Site Possibilities: Temple Site Possibilities: South America Northwest Area, Part One--Area and Temple Overview

Hello again, everyone! While I am not anticipating many views for my blog during the next two or three days, since my wife and I will be spending our 7th Christmas together stuck at home with illness, I have time to continue my series of posts about potential temples. As we begin the discussion of the final five areas of the Church which I have not covered, we come to the two other areas of the Church in South America.

As most of you are likely aware, South America is another substantially-sized continent, and, as such, the countries within it cover large areas. The Church has established three of its areas to cover the nations in South America. Since we have covered the first of those earlier on in this series, (the nation of Brazil is sizable enough and has enough of a Church presence that it is its' own area), that leaves us with the South America Northwest and South America South areas, which cover the remaining nations of that continent.

The next several posts I will do in this series will explore the first of those, the South America Northwest Area. My current plan in beginning the coverage of this area is to do three posts for it; this first one will provide an overview of this area and the temples in it. That will be followed by a second post for this area, in which I will share a history of the dedications of those temples and the composition of each of those districts, and my third and final post for this area will be discussing the potential locations for which I have felt that the Church could announce new temples. If it turns out that I need to do more than the three posts, I will be sure to let you know of any additional ones that are necessary. With that said, let's get right into it.

The Church's South America Northwest Area covers the nations of Bolivia, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Peru, and Venezuela. In terms of temples, this area has 10 temples in various stages: 6 in operation (including the Bogota Colombia, Caracas Venezuela, Cochabama Bolivia, Guayaquil Ecuador, and, in Peru, the Lima and Trujillo Temples.

Two others are currently under construction in Barranquilla Colombia (which is anticipated to be dedicated during the 4th quarter of 2018) and Arequipa Peru (which may either be dedicated in late 2019 or early 2020).

And the final two temples in this area were both announced in April 2016 for Quito Ecuador and Lima Peru (which, as we know, will be the second temple in that city, and will be known as the Lima Peru Los Olivos Temple).

While there has been no indication of a site announcement or groundbreaking date for either temple, we do know that the contractor for the latter said in March of this year that it would take a year of preliminary planning for the site before a groundbreaking could take place.

This means that we could see that temple have a site announced and a groundbreaking within the first half of 2018. Speaking optimistically, I believe that will happen sooner rather than later. As for the Quito Ecuador Temple, while I don't know exactly when we might see progress there, I do not believe that this second Ecuadoran temple will be subject to anywhere near the 14-year delay that occurred between the site announcement and groundbreaking for the first temple in that nation (which was built in Guayaquil).

This wraps up my introduction to this area and the current and future temples that serve the Saints within its boundaries, so that does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, Thank you for the privilege of your time. Until my next post (which should come later today), I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.