Stokes Sounds Off: Exploring the Question of How Thorough I Should Be With My List of Temple Prospects for October

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Exploring the Question of How Thorough I Should Be With My List of Temple Prospects for October

Hello again, everyone! I wanted to post officially here regarding something I have been going back-and-forth on, and about which I could use some feedback. So this post will address all of that. In this July 1 post, I shared my initial list of most likely temple prospects for the October 2018 General Conference.

Following my analysis of the feedback presented in the comments on that post, I offered this list of additional prospective locations that could also have a temple announced in October. After further analysis of the comments on that list, I added most of those locations to the original list, and published the brand new list of combined prospects in this post, which I shared almost two weeks ago.

This leads me to the question I wanted to ask, and why I would like feedback on it. As we know,  more mentions have been recently made lately about how President Nelson's temple-building legacy will outpace and overshadow that which we saw previously during President Hinckley's temple-building revelation that culminated in the rapid increase in the number of operating temples during the late 1990s and early 2000s.

While we don't know the extent of those plans, it may be safe to assume that we are entering another unprecedented era of temple developments. With that in mind, on the one hand, I don't want to go too far overboard in terms of the most imminently likely prospective locations that may have a temple announced in October. But on the other hand, I have been asking myself how many temple locations are too many.

For that reason, in addition to the three resources I have provided above, I wanted to also provide here a list of refined locations I have ready in case I do need to slim down the list to its' bare minimum. Here is that list:

October 2018 General Conference Temple Locations Predictions (slimmed down to the most imminently likely)

Africa & Europe: Freetown Sierra Leone; Antananarivo Madagascar; Praia Cape Verde; Monrovia Liberia; Maputo Mozambique; Budapest Hungary; Kumasi Ghana/Lagos Nigeria
Latin America (includes Brazil, Central America, Mexico, and South America): San Pedro Sula Honduras/Senahu or 2nd Guatemala City Guatemala; Salvador/Belo Horizonte Brazil; Santa Cruz/La Paz Bolivia; Puebla Mexico; Ciudad del Este Paraguay
Oceania (includes Asia, the Pacific Islands, and the Philippines): Port Moresby Papua New Guinea; Auckland New Zealand; Davao Philippines; Pago Pago American Samoa
United States: Missoula Montana; Bentonville Arkansas; Green Bay Wisconsin; Herriman Utah; Des Moines Iowa; Montpelier Vermont; Las Cruces New Mexico; Jacksonville Florida; Jackson Mississippi; Elko/Ely Nevada

Having provided this additional list, I wanted to get some feedback. Which of those four lists seems to be the best version? How extensive should this list be? And regarding whichever of the lists any of you favor, is there anything I need to change in terms of eliminating or adding any prospects? It is now your turn to "sound off" in the comments below. Your feedback is always welcome and appreciated whenever and on whatever subject it is offered.

That does it for this post. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly-added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

4 comments:

  1. Although there will inevitably be a temple in the far-off locations in Guatemala someday, I believe that Senahú --- or perhaps Cobán which has a larger leadership base and is a central gathering point for the Polochic Valley --- will still be a number of years away. The need for a second temple in Guatemala City is far more critical at this time. A second temple in Honduras located in San Pedro Sula would also be a priority before Senahú - Cobán. The day will come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, and thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts with me and others who read this blog. If you are the same person who made an earlier comment about how you are living and working in the Central America Area of the Church, I would certainly trust your opinion and first-hand knowledge on this subject more than I would my own research, primarily because aside from that research, I am not familiar with Guatemala or the Church's situation in that nation at all.

    I also recall a comment earlier (which may have been from you as well) about how a second Guatemala City temple may be more imminent than one in Senahu. In the early days of my research on the subject, Senahu seemed to be a top prospect upon which several people who commented at that time agreed. That said, I would certainly defer to your expertise on this subject. For that reason, whichever list I wind up using, I will narrow down the Guatemalan choice to a second in Guatemala City, which, given what we saw occur in 2016 and 2017 (when second temples were announced for Lima Peru and Manila Philippines) is not unprecedented.

    I also appreciate your evaluation that a temple in San Pedro Sula Honduras would be more imminent than a temple in Senahu. I also did not realize that Honduras only currently has the one temple in Tegucigalpa, which would certainly make a second in San Pedro Sula more imminent than a 3rd for Guatemala. I will keep all of that excellent feedback in mind when I do my final edits on the list of locations.

    That said, I had mentioned above that the list of locations I shared in this post was one of four I had published on this blog, and my hope was to get a feel for which would be the best version with the most imminent prospects. Did you have any thoughts on that? Thanks again for taking time to comment. I appreciate hearing from you, and would likewise enjoy any additional feedback you might have for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rank them: 1. A second Guatemala City temple. 2. San Pedro Sula Honduras. 3. Cobán (about 90 minutes from Senahú, but much larger and better popoulation base of members. I would only put the second temple in Guatemala City on your imminent list. San Pedro Sula in 5 years or more and Cobán 7-10 years. I have worked, lived and served in Central America many years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for those important clarifications. While we don't know the extent of President Nelson's plans to expand the number of temples worldwide, at the same time, I would certainly defer to your first-hand knowledge of the Central America area of the Church, so I will for sure narrow my Central America selections down to a second Guatemala City Guatemala Temple.

    That said, as I may or may not have clearly stated, at the moment, I have four different versions of the list of potential locations that I am putting together for the October General Conference. Your feedback in the last two comments helps me narrow down my choices for Central America. Do you have any opinion on which of the four (the three I linked to or the condensed version I shared in this post) would better cover the most likely prospective locations that could have a temple announced in October? I don't know whether or not you have any insight into other areas of the Church, but I do know that the only dumb questions are those that go unasked. Whichever of the four versions I use, I will for sure slim down the immediate Central America prospects to just a second temple for Guatemala City. Thank you again for all your valuable insights.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.