Stokes Sounds Off: Nations and cities which seem ripe for a temple announcement--Part 3

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Nations and cities which seem ripe for a temple announcement--Part 3

There has been so much good feedback on this list that I have revisited it for a third time. I'm finding that with each edit, my list gets better. And of course, I would never want to stop anyone from contributing feedback that would help me make this list even better. I give thanks to those attentive readers for sharing knowledge that I didn't have. This feedback has helped me fine-tune this list over the last several days. That being said, here's the newest version of this list. Let me know what you think.
1. Managua Nicaragua Temple (proposed in 2012 by Elder Russell M. Nelson; note that Nicaragua is the nation with the strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
2. Papua New Guinea (Port Moresby; note that Papua New Guinea is the nation with the second strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
3. Puerto Rico (San Juan; note that Puerto Rico is the nation with the third strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase
4. Russia (Moscow or St. Petersburg; the Church seems to really be expanding in Russia; note that Russia is the nation with the fourth strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
5. Kiribati (Tarawa; note that Kiribati is the nation with the fifth strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
6. Sierra Leone (Freetown; may be announced soon due to extensive Church growth in Africa; note that Sierra Leone is the nation with the sixth strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
7. American Samoa (Pago Pago; note that American Samoa is the nation with the seventh strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
8. Uganda (Kampala; may be announced soon due to extensive Church growth in Africa; note that Uganda is the nation with the eighth strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
9. Cambodia (Phnom Penh; please note that Cambodia is the nation with the ninth strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase; I favor this location because my brother-in-law served his mission there)
10. Nairobi Kenya Temple (proposed in 1998 by President Gordon B. Hinckley; note that Kenya is the nation with the tenth strongest LDS presence that doesn't have a temple in any phase)
11. Bentonville Arkansas (According to my team leader at work who served a mission in that region and who follows Church milestones there religiously (pun intended), a lot for a temple has already been purchased there and an announcement of that temple will happen when Church growth warrants it. How soon that will be remains to be seen.)
12. Southwest Salt Lake Valley Temple (proposed in 2005 by President Gordon B. Hinckley)
13. Czech Republic (Ostrava; I’m sure President Uchtdorf would love to see a temple in his homeland)
14. Montana (Missoula; identified by Elder David A. Bednar as a potential temple site)
15. Lehi Utah (I favor this location because my wife grew up there and it seems to be expanding at an astonishing rate, including the LDS presence)
16. Austria (Vienna; I favor this location because my wife served her mission there)
17. South Dakota (Rapid City; I favor this location because my dad served his mission there)
18. Bolivia (La Paz; I favor La Paz because my favorite bishop, a close friend, served his mission there. He shared a little bit of Bolivian culture with our ward during his service as bishop because, in addition to giving each returning missionary their plaque, at the conclusion of their service, he also gave them a Bolivian abrasso)
19. Spain (Malaga; I favor this site because a good friend served her mission there)
20. Indonesia (Jakarta; a site I favor because a good friend served his mission there)
21. Mongolia (Ulaanbaatar; a site I favor because a good friend served his mission there)
22 Wyoming (Cody or Gillette; as either one makes more sense for a potential temple than Cheyenne)
23. Nigeria (Lagos; may be announced soon due to extensive Church growth in Africa)  
24. Idaho (Pocatello; the one major city in Idaho that does not already have a temple)
25. Tooele Utah (a somewhat overlooked site that makes sense)
26. Heber Utah  (could be a dark horse choice, as it would be unexpected but needed)
27. Ireland (It was brought to my attention that Ireland or Scotland would be a good location for a temple. Of the two, I think Ireland is more likely, though it's another dark horse candidate.)
28. New Zealand (Auckland; another dark horse candidate)
29. Norway (Oslo; another dark horse choice)
30. Guatemala (Guatemala City)
31. Mexico (Mexico City)
32. Chile (Santiago)
33. Argentina (Buenos Aires)
34. Brazil (Sao Paulo)

Please note that the last five temples listed above would come about if and when the need arose for a second temple in any or all of these cities. These may be more or less likely than some of the other temples above, but a second temple in the same city has only occurred 3 times: twice in Utah and once in Peru. That being said, it could be something we see more of as time goes on.

As always, feedback is welcome, appreciated, and needed, with future edits to come as necessary in the future. In the meantime, if at any point any other possibilities are made apparent and I haven't acknowledged them, I'd appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. Great list, James! Here are a few thoughts.

    I understand the Church has potential temple sites in both Managua and Port Moresby. Good choices, though growth in Papua New Guinea has slowed down considerably.

    I certainly see Moscow over St. Petersburg for a temple in Russia. Moscow is the capital and largest city. It has a superior geographic location to serve the country's membership and the best roads and transportation options. St. Petersburg is not too far from the Helsinki temple.

    I think a temple in Bentonville is not far off. The Church owns land near the freeway, next to the Bentonville Arkansas Stake Center, that would make a nice location for a temple—highly visible and easy to reach.

    Although President Uchtdorf was born in Czech Republic (and raised in Germany), I don't think that would weigh heavily into the decision of where to build a temple. It could be a while for this nation, which just received its first stake. Prague is not too far from the temple in Freiberg, Germany.

    In Spain, we would probably see a temple in Barcelona before we would in Malaga. Barcelona is the nation's second largest city, and there are two stakes in the metropolitan region versus four wards in Malaga. The Church is growing steadily in Spain, however.

    I've heard that when the Billings Montana Temple was announced, there was a bit of a protest from the Saints in Cody who said that Brigham Young had prophesied that a temple would be built there. President Hinckley, who had announced the Billings temple, said, "I'll guess you'll have to take that up with Brigham." Anecdotes aside, I do favor Cody over Gillette for another Wyoming temple. The Church has a rich history in Cody with a faithful core of members. The Cody stake will likely split soon to form a stake in Powell. I also love the idea of a Yellowstone-themed temple with Old Faithful and other landmarks and animals depicted in the ordinance room mural.

    I see Auckland as much more than a dark-horse candidate for a temple. There are 13 stakes in the city with two more stakes to the north. There is land already set aside for a temple next to the MTC, which was relocated from Hamilton to Auckland several years ago. The 58-year-old Hamilton temple has only one ordinance room and is need of renovation.

    The Church may opt to build a temple in nearby Valparaíso before building a second temple in Santiago. There are a significant number of members in that region who would be spared the drive to Santiago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I favor Scotland over Ireland. Scotland has an appreciable core of members organized into five stakes. They must drive very long distances to the temple in Preston. Dublin's stake is rather small, and Ireland has a bit of a reputation for being unkind toward the Church and missionaries. The stake in Northern Ireland is larger than Dublin's, but access to Scotland is facilitated by a ferry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughts, Brother Satterfield! I appreciate the feedback. You make some good points, which I will certainly consider if/when I redo this list. It is always interesting to me where the Lord chooses for new temple sites. You should know that information about Church units was obtained by your excellent temple site. I look forward to seeing what progress is made in regards to temples, and you can be sure I will be reporting any major developments here. Interesting tidbit about Managua and Port Moresby. I didn't know that potential sites had been identified there. It will be interesting to see what happens with Russia. In the matter of Bentonville, my team leader served a mission in that region, and he says that the members report a site purchased there for a future temple once membership warrants such an announcement. I'm not a geography expert by any means, so I didn't know that Prague was not far from Germany. Good to know. I agree that Barcelona is more likely for a temple than Malaga. I could see temples in both Cody and Gillette once membership warrants it. You're probably right about Auckland. It makes sense that Auckland would be more than a dark-horse candidate. I hadn't considered Valparaiso, but that makes sense as well. And I personally think it will be a while before we see a temple in either Scotland or Ireland because, as I said, my mom has family in that area and attests to their hardhearted and stubborn tendencies. But as we have seen in other areas, hearts can be softened and miracles can happen. I predicted a second temple for the nations above based on the excessive number of stakes in those lands. I was totally blown away by the announcement of a second temple for Lima, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. This also opens up the possibility for a second temple in all major cities of the world. On the Utah front, I can see many temples announced in the near future, but of the many sites I considered, Layton and Lehi make the most sense. Thanks for the comments, Brother Satterfield!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken your excellent suggestions under advisement, Brother Satterfield. Based on what you said, I changed Ireland to Scotland, I have added Valparaiso in addition to a 2nd for Santiago, as I see either as a possiblity. I have eliminated the "dark horse" assignation to Auckland. I have chosen Cody over Gillette. I have changed Malaga to Barcelona. I have refined the Russia prediction to Moscow. I agree a Bentonville announcement is imminent. I still see the Czech Republic as a potential temple site, but that, as you say, is far in the future. I have also reprioritized a few temples that seem more likely than others. Thanks again for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know the Billings temple is under used, like the weekend of stack counferice in the cody stack they close the temple because a good number of the workers and thoses that go to the temple our in cody. But all the stack prisdents around there our working hard to get mere members to the temple, and my mission prisdent wented to get everyone we baptized to the temple right away and made it easy for us to go with the people we reactivated or just baptized to the temple, there's a lot of work but the leadership is getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the Billings temple is under used, like the weekend of stack counferice in the cody stack they close the temple because a good number of the workers and thoses that go to the temple our in cody. But all the stack prisdents around there our working hard to get mere members to the temple, and my mission prisdent wented to get everyone we baptized to the temple right away and made it easy for us to go with the people we reactivated or just baptized to the temple, there's a lot of work but the leadership is getting it done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the feedback, Bryce, but I'm a little confused. When you say "stack", do you actually mean "stake"> Thanks for clarifying.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.