Stokes Sounds Off: Miscellaneous Church News

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Miscellaneous Church News

Hello, everyone! With my concentrated efforts in the last few days on monitoring temple-related news, and with everything that has been going on for me personally, there were a few Church news items well worthy of a mention on this blog that I haven't focused on. I will do so now.

First, and most significantly, changes are coming to the visiting teaching program in which all women 18 years of age and older participate. This article describes what those changes are, and why they are being implemented. It seems that the Church is gradually shifting its focus to teaching by the Spirit for everyone, regardless of age, gender, or calling. And that is something with which I, and hopefully all other Church members, can easily get on board.

This article describes the modern-day application for President Kimball's directive phrase: "Every member a missionary." That article meant a lot to me, because I was one who did not wear a missionary badge or even serve my mission full-time. And that idea that every member can be a missionary is much of what drives me now to focus so much on Church-related news and information. In that way, I hope I am fulfilling that directive, which was given years before I was born.

This article, from a man who felt his deceased mother's presence at a temple wedding, rang true to me as well. By the time my future wife and I had been friends for a year, her mother had passed away several months prior. So when we started dating, she wasn't around at all, except in spirit. As our relationship blossomed, we both expressed the hope that we would feel her mother's presence during our wedding ceremony. And we did. We have also felt her with us at various times and in various places. If there is one thing I have learned from that, it is that the veil is truly very thin, for which I am fervently grateful.

LDS Business College marked the inauguration of its 13th president, Bruce C. Kusch this last week as well. This article describes who was going to be in attendance (which likely became who was actually there). That was good to read about.

BYU-Idaho is preparing for its annual Sacred Hymns Festival, and has issued a call for texts of such hymns. You can find the details on that here.

The Church News also published articles about the numerous Area Seventies who were released, and introducing the one new Area Seventy who was sustained during General Conference earlier this month. But as that information can currently be found in the General Conference Ensign.

That does it for this brief update. Any comments are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you for the privilege of your time, and may the Lord bless you all in all that you do.

2 comments:

  1. Some good news. Growth is happening, faster and stronger in some areas more than others. I also want to encourage more people to try indexing. It takes little to no commitment and is very crucial to the work of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Chris! Thanks for the comment. As one who has been previously involved in the extraction program, which was the precursor to the Church's indexing efforts, I know how vitally important it is for Church members to get involved in that sacred work. I would add the promise that the individuals who do choose to get involved in that sacred work will see the blessings from the Lord that come as a natural result of doing something for someone that they themselves cannot do. They are just waiting to be taken care of, and that every sacrifice anyone makes to be so involved will be infinitely worth it. Thanks again, Chris!

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.