Stokes Sounds Off: Clarification on My General Conference Predictions

Search This Blog

Top Leaderboard

Sunday, February 27, 2022

Clarification on My General Conference Predictions

Hello again, everyone! As some of you might be aware, beginning about 2 years ago, I somehow inadvertently offended someone on Wikipedia. As a result of that, since that time, I have been harassed both on and off Wikipedia, most notably by trolls who continue to this day to use phony accounts on Wikipedia to harass me or generally make nuisances of themselves. Unfortunately, whoever is behind those efforts is very clever, and is using multiple false accounts of various names.

A few of them have even attempted to spoof names of some of my fellow editors, or by using the names of various general leaders of the Church. The names change, but the abuse by those who operate those accounts is the same. As a result, I have had to take some drastic measures on Wikipedia (including having several others keep their eyes out for those types of accounts in the history of pages I visit) and trying to be more discerning with the comments on this blog. 

2 days ago, I had a new comment posted here by President Russell M. Nelson To my knowledge, the senior Brethren of the Church haven't habitually followed personal blogs, and have never commented on them, which is understandable given the heavy loads they carry. Something about the comment didn't seem right, and given the fact that the names of senior apostles in the Church had been invoked in user accounts on Wikipedia to disrupt page content, I had to make a quick call about whether to keep it or not. At the time, I deleted it because something about it didn't seem right to me.

But if it was a genuine comment from the prophet, then it should be retained here in some form. I am posting a copy of the comment, just in case it is genuine, along with some additional information from me. President Nelson, if that really was a genuine comment from you, I apologize if I was unnecessarily suspicious of it, and I hope that the explanation that follows this reproduction of that comment might be illuminating to you and to all my other readers:

So, at 10:02 AM on February 25, 2022, at 10:02 AM, President Russell M. Nelson posted the following comment:

"Please do not make predictions about the upcoming General Conferences. You are not in a position to know what decisions may or may not be made. Do no make predictions about matters that you cannot possibly know about.

"When I was a heart surgeon, it was always dangerous to make predictions about what may or may not happen in a surgery. It's even more dangerous to make unfounded predictions about spiritual matters. You might lead new converts to trust in your opinion, instead of following the prophet. I know that you love the Lord and His Church too much to continue to do that.

"Thank you for your thoughtful, faith inspiring blog. In my 97 years, I've never seen a better example of a faithful Latter-day Saint.

"Sincerely,

"President Russell M. Nelson"

I bolded the errors which I believe point to this being a troll omment rather than a genuine one from the prophet, on which grounds I deleted that comment. 

But if it was genuine, I appreciate the kind words offered. Some of the things said reminded me of what the Prophet Joseph Smith said about the destiny of the Church being something the other men of his day knew no more about than a babe on its' mother's lap. At the same time, I have been creating such predictions for my own personal use since around 2007, and have publicly posted them since turning this blog's focus from personal updates to being almost completely focused on the Church. 

The point is valid: In general, I have no idea what decisions have been/will be made, who will speak and when they might do so, what changes will be made in general Church leadership, what the statistical report for 2021 might look like, or the full list of locations for which the Church will announce a temple in April. 

So for me to suggest in any way that each set of predictions will be 100% accurate would be foolish on my part. At the same time, beginning with the General Conferences held under President Hinckley, each General Conference followed specific patterns that were fairly easily analyzed so that a general framework for each subsequent conference emerged. 

Based on those patterns, I started keeping files of multiple documents relating to the general leaders of the Church. At a glance, I can give information on which members of the First Presidency conducted and spoke at any General Conference from April 1995 through now. I also track the most recent conferences in which each current member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has spoken in each General Conference session. 

And I have other documents showing information about the first time each current GA Seventy spoke in each General Conference, and when each GA Seventy last did so. That information has similarly been compiled for members of the current Presidency of the Seventy and the Presiding Bishopric. I've also tracked information about the speaking history for General Officers of the Church during President Nelson, and the particulars of each Women's Session in terms of who has conducted and spoken at each. As President Nelson reminded us in 2018, "Good inspiration is based on good information."

Based on the data in those files, which continues to expand, I have a rough idea of which leaders are likely to speak and when. But I have never once been 100% accurate on that, so I hope no one is taking those projections as gospel. The prophet is the one who ultimately discerns who speaks when and for how long, under the inspiration of the Spirit. 

And quite honestly, the process of predicting the speakers has been even more challenging under President Nelson, who has given us 8 General Conferences thus far that have each uniquely differed from the "usual patterns" I noticed in General Conferences overseen by Presidents Hinckley and Monson. 

As such, they should not at all be taken as gospel, and anyone who puts their faith in those or in myself as the predictor thereof is misguided. I have found myself paying even more attention to General Conferences since President Nelson became the prophet because, even with my best projections, I'm bound to be surprised multiple times over that one weekend. 

Similarly, I have never been fully accurate in predicting the changes in general Church leadership or the exact figures on the statistical report.  And I've been clear about the fact that some of the temples being announced caught me off guard. Temples for India, Russia, mainland China, and the Middle East were announced long before I thought that would ever happen. And Vitoria Brazil last time wasn't anywhere on my radar. 

Having linked to the files of information I keep for General Conferences, I hope that helps explain my process more thoroughly.  Let me clearly state this again: I have no inside sourcing or special access to inside information that would qualify me to pass off these predictions as anywhere close to doctrinally correct. If I were to attempt to do so, and someone was led away from the Church because of such assertions, I'd stand accountable before the Lord for that in the final judgment. 

I am just as likely to be wrong about any of these predictions as I am to be right. And I will gratefully and joyfully report any flaws in my thinking as they are proven to be incorrect. Anyways, hope this explanation is helpful to all who read it. I still am not sure whether that comment was genuinely from the prophet or not, and although I have my doubts, I am honored by the thought that he might have weighed in here. 

I hope no one who reads my blog here is taking my thoughts on this as having any authority of any kind because that's not the case. What I do is the best research I'm capable of, followed by waiting to find out if anything I have predicted is correct. With that said, I invite us all to tune in to General Conference to see how accurate I might be. 

In the meantime, that does it for now. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, on any post at any time, as long as such comments adhere to the the established guidelines.  I hope any of you who would like to share anything will take your opportunity to “sound off” in the comments below. Thank you for the privilege of your time. 

If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

15 comments:

  1. The Newsroom and the Church News have both covered a devotional for Latter-day Saints in California, which featured our beloved prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, and his wife, Sister Wendy W. Nelson; Elder Brent H. Nielson of the Presidency of the Seventy and his wife, Sister Marcia Nielson; and Elder Mark A. Bragg, a General Authority Seventy and President of the North America West Area, and his wife, Yvonne:

    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/president-nelson-three-invitations-to-latter-day-saints-california

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2022-02-27/president-nelson-california-devotional-invitations-seek-truth-make-and-keep-covenants-gather-israel-244077

    The following additional reports were shared by the Church News:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/2022-02-27/book-of-mormon-translations-maps-where-115-languages-spoken-244064

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2022-02-27/week-in-review-first-presidency-statement-behind-the-scenes-at-rootstech-2022-uchtdorf-candy-bomber-bingham-mtc-244250

    My thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a few individuals who have been contacted by the Church and asked to discontinue or modify something. In cases of IP rights usage, it's always the legal department, and in cases of statements, or policy, it's usually the Public affairs office. In cases of serious issues, they take a different more direct path, namely they assign an assistant to look up your membership record, contact the Area Authority for your area, and have that Authority contact your Stake President, who would then contact you, which is what I 100% firmly believe would happen if he, or any of the Church leadership, were concerned at all about what you are doing. You are right to be skeptical! The Church organization exists to assist with this kind of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brian. Like I said, I was skeptical from the outset, but given the (almost deliberate) misspelling in the comment, and given the lines whereby something like this would usually come down, that confirms that the comment wasn't likely genuine. And given that this seems to be an extension of the frequent issues I've had over the last 2-3 years being targeted by disgruntled internet trolls, the warning lights were on about this anyways.

      Add that to the fact that the comment mentioned someone might take my predictions as gospel, when right at the top of my blog, I clearly state "This site is neither officially owned, operated, or endorsed by the Church, and I, as the autthor thereof, am solely responsible for this content." and it's obviously more of the same. Thanks for your kind comment, Brian. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

      Delete
  3. As we begin a new week, the Church News has shared one new report:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/2022-02-28/church-mexico-central-america-south-america-humanitarian-aid-donations-supplies-hospitals-clinics-244102

    My thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are two more Church News reports:

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-faith/2022-02-28/jordan-latter-day-saint-charities-al-jahuth-goats-beehives-refugees-widows-self-reliance-244354

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2022-02-28/ukraine-russian-language-branch-salt-lake-city-sarah-jane-weaver-sunday-meeting-war-uncertainty-244391

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
    2. Also, I do have one temple update to pass along today. Although the construction status of each temple now under construction or undergoing renovation remains unchanged, the Church Temples site has moved the Feather River California Temple up in the queue to now being between Richmond Virginia and Bentonville Arkansas. As the result of that update, the completion estimate for Feather River has been moved up to late 2022 (the same window as Richmond and Bentonville) and the estimate for the McAllen Texas Temple has been shifted to late 2022-early 2023:

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/status/

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/feather-river-california-temple/

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/bentonville-arkansas-temple/

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/mcallen-texas-temple/

      This means that the four temples anticipated to be completed in late 2022-early 2023 are now as follows: McAllen Texas, Bangkok Thailand, Abidjan Ivory Coast, and Okinawa Japan. Meanwhile, the estimate for Layton Utah has been shifted down to early 2023, the same window as Moses Lake Washington and Casper Wyoming:

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/layton-utah-temple/

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
    3. Here is one more update from the Newsroom:

      https://news-africa.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/elder-christofferson-concludes-ministry-west-africa

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
  4. Hello again, everyone! On this first Tuesday in March, the Church has provided the next updates on temple reopenings. According to the Newsroom and the Church News, the Seoul Korea Temple transitioned to phase 3 from phase 2-B on February 22. And, as previously noted, in view of the recent Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Kyiv Ukraine Temple has closed until further notice. With 8 temples closed for renovation, only the Suva Fiji Temple remains in phase one, and only the Barranquilla Colombia Temple remains in phase 2-B. The Kyiv Ukraine Temple becomes the 1 that is currently closed. No temples are in phase 2, and now 168 are in phase 3, for a total of 98.8% of the 170 in operation. With the 1 temple in phase 2-B, 99.4% of all temples are offering some degree of proxy work. Here are those reports:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2022-03-01/lds-temples-open-worldwide-phased-reopening-183918

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2022-03-01/temple-reopening-status-tracker-worldwide-199279

    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/first-presidency-limited-reopening-temples

    And three additional reports have been shared by the Church News:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/podcast/2022-03-01/episode-72-bishop-keith-b-mcmullin-on-key-christlike-leadership-principles-that-bless-work-life-and-family-244493

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/2022-03-01/rootstech-2022-tips-to-navigating-website-main-stage-expo-hall-244417

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2022-03-01/elder-stanfill-byu-devotional-christs-peacemakers-remain-blessed-eternal-influencers-244452

    My thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are two more Church News reports:

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/history-revisited/2022-03-01/all-church-historic-sites-now-fully-open-to-the-public-after-covid-pandemic-244587

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-faith/2022-03-01/byu-pathway-worldwide-devotional-milton-camargo-help-with-studies-students-learn-from-scriptures-jesus-christ-holy-ghost-244468

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
    2. So far today, the Church News has published 2 new articles:

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/2022-03-02/rootstech-2022-familysearch-choose-connection-family-history-speakers-244442

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/history-revisited/2022-03-02/eliza-r-snows-church-historians-press-ministry-in-southern-utah-women-keep-covenants-build-the-kingdom-pocketwatch-244376

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
    3. Here is one more Church News report:

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-faith/2022-03-02/justserve-feed-my-starving-children-fda-approved-stake-center-packed-thousands-of-meals-for-kids-244499

      My thanks oce again to you all.

      Delete
    4. And an update has been noted today for the Richmond Virginia Temple:

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/richmond-virginia-temple/

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
    5. The Church News also shared one additional report, which linked to a Newsroom report:

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/2022-03-02/church-meetinghouses-getting-solar-panels-south-pacific-244726

      https://news-nz.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-uses-renewable-energy-in-more-south-pacific-meetinghouses

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
  5. Let me make a comment about the comment. A medical friend of mine told me that if there is any doubt about what will happen during a medical procedure, you do not move forward with the procedure. People's lives are at stake. There is some level on unpredictability in medicine, like any other field. But you have to proceed with a level of confidence in the success. But if I make predictions, I am usually wrong. I do not have the insight that senior leaders in the church have. I have thought about doing so in my blog, but I have decided against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, thanks for weighing in on this as well. I recognize that what was said about a medical procedure was accurate. But adding accurate information to a comment otherwise full of inaccuracies, or that are presented with a false premise (that the one posting the comment was President Nelson) only strengthen the inaccuracies. I'm glad I deleted that comment. It was clearly spam, because it did not come through the correct channels. As for my predictions, I use patterns of the past to predict the future, and given that my overall accuracy with the General Conference predictions I continue to provide hovers between 60-80% accuracy, it's obvious the methods I use do work to a significant degree. But if others are not comfortable with predicting things about General Conference, or if they are uncomfortable with me doing these predictions every six months, that's their opinion, to which they have a right. I will continue on my end to provide this information because what might happen is an important part of Church history that is ongoing.

      Anyone who knows me knows I undergo a fair amount of surgeries myself. Because of my hydrocephalus, I have a shunt that regulates the flow of cerebrospinal fluid. I underwent my first shunt failure in 15 years last year, and when they placed my shunt, the surgeon had no way of knowing whether the shunt would work for me or if the pressure could be properly adjusted to ensure my comfort and well-being. But he also knew that the shunt and the surgery had undergone rigorous testing, and that since something needed to be done, it was a risk worth taking to put in the new device. If all goes well, I won't have to go in again to replace the new shunt for the next 2-3 decades. Similarly, I don't mind taking the risk that I'm wrong in any element of my predictions. The fun is in the process of creating, presting them here, and seeing just how right (or wrong) I might be as a result. Well worth the risk. If others don't feel that same way about it, well, I'm doing it for me and for those who do enjoy it. Thanks again, Ben.

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.