Stokes Sounds Off: PDF of May 2015 Ensign is available

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Friday, May 1, 2015

PDF of May 2015 Ensign is available

I am pleased to be able to announce that the PDF of the May Ensign is now available. Featured for the first time is a page containing highlights from the conference. Also, from this conference Ensign on, the General Women's Meeting will be featured first, as it is now officially the first session of General Conference. Before each Conference Ensign comes out, I make predictions about what the table of contents will look like. I then compare it to the table of contents in that Ensign and put the corrections in parentheses. I will include my latest one to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Possible Table of Contents for May 2015 Ensign
(Text in Parentheses indicates what actually was)
Session
Page
Title
Speaker

2


Conference Summary for 185th Annual General Conference


3
Indexes


(4)
(Highlights from the 185th Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)

GW
4
(8)
Filling Our Homes with Light and Truth
Cheryl A. Esplin

7 (11)
The Family Is of God
Jean A. Stevens

10 (14)
Defenders of the Family Proclamation
Bonnie L. Oscarson

14 (17)
The Comforter
President Henry B. Eyring
SAM
18 (22)
“Is Not This the Fast That I Have Chosen?”
President Henry B. Eyring

22 (26)
The Plan of Happiness
President Boyd K. Packer

25 (29)
We’ll Ascend Together
Linda K. Burton

28 (32)
The Parable of the Sower
Elder Dallin H. Oaks

32 (36)
Choose to Believe
Elder L. Whitney Clayton

35 (39)
Why Marriage and Family Matter—Everywhere in the World
Elder L. Tom Perry
SAA
38 (43)
The Sustaining of Church Officers
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

40 (45)
Church Auditing Department Report, 2014
Kevin R. Jergensen

41 (45)
Statistical Report, 2014
Brook P. Hales

42 (46)
Therefore They Hushed Their Fears
Elder David A. Bednar

46 (50)
Why Marriage, Why Family
Elder D. Todd Christofferson

50 (54)
The Music of the Gospel
Elder Wilford W. Andersen

53 (56)
Latter-day Saints Keep on Trying
Elder Dale G. Renlund

56 (59)
Truly Good and without Guile
Elder Michael T. Ringwood

59 (62)
The Lord Is My Light
Elder Quentin L. Cook
SPH
63 (67)
The Greatest Generation of Young Adults
Elder M. Russell Ballard

67 (70)
Yes, We Can and Will Win!
Elder Ulisses Soares

70 (77)
Fatherhood—Our Eternal Destiny
Larry M. Gibson

77 (80)
On Being Genuine
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

81 (84)
Priesthood and Personal Prayer
President Henry B. Eyring

85 (88)
The Priesthood—a Sacred Gift
President Thomas S. Monson
SUM
89 (91)
Blessings of the Temple
President Thomas S. Monson

93
Returning to Faith
Rosemary M. Wixom

96
Seeking the Lord
Elder Jose L. Teixeira

98
Is It Still Wonderful to You?
Bishop Gerald Causse

101
Waiting for the Prodigal
Elder Brent H. Nielson

104
Where Justice, Love, and Mercy Meet
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

108 (107)
The Gift of Grace
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf
SUA
112 (111)
Preserving Agency, Protecting Religious Freedom
Elder Robert D. Hales

115 (114)
Stay by the Tree
Elder Kevin W. Pearson

118 (117)
The Eternal Perspective of the Gospel
Elder Rafael E. Pino

120 (119)
Thy Kingdom Come
Elder Neil L. Andersen

124 (123)
If You Will Be Responsible
Elder Jorge F. Zeballos

127 (126)
Be Fruitful, Multiply and Subdue the Earth
Elder Joseph W. Sitati

129
The Sabbath is a Delight
Elder Russell M. Nelson

72
General Authorities and General Officers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints


133
Conference Story Index


134
(They Spoke to Us:) Making Conference Part of Our Lives


136
News of the Church


144
Last Page of Conference Ensign



I am constantly intrigued by how close and yet how far I come to what actually happened with the predictions I make. The most surprising thing about this table of contents: I didn't think President Monson's Sunday Morning talk would only take up 2 pages. I predicted 4. His talk was shorter than I thought. I am hoping and praying that by next conference, he will be able to give his standard 4 addresses, even if he doesn't speak at the General Women's meeting, which I am predicting he will since he didn't last time. When President Eyring spoke instead, I wondered if President Monson did that so he could speak at the October meeting when we mark the official 20th anniversary of "The Family: A Proclamation to the World." At any rate, I am glad for the way the table of contents turned out, and I can hardly wait for the actual physical magazine. I was so excited to see the PDF version finally available after waiting for it for several days that I just had to post. I hope I am not considered a weirdo for all these predictions I like to make. If I am, well, the shoe fits, so I'll wear it. Thanks for reading this post, friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.