Stokes Sounds Off: Happy Birthday, Joanna Stokes Hickman!

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Happy Birthday, Joanna Stokes Hickman!

The final post I wanted to do today was a shout-out to my older sister, Joanna Stokes Hickman, who celebrated her birthday yesterday. (May 4). Throughout my life, she has been my defender, my friend, my confidant and my sister. She has supported everything I've ever done, even when she may have thought or felt I was doing the wrong thing.

Allow me to share a few memories. I have no recollection of this, but I have been told that when I was born, Joanna was extremely defensive of me. On one occasion, when the doctors were about to take me away for some needed surgery, Joanna put her hands on her hips and asked "What are you going to do to my baby?" No matter when I underwent surgery, Joanna was never far away, cheering me on to a speedy recovery. When Joanna was preparing to marry Lyle Hickman in 2004, I underwent four surgeries in a three-week period. Joanna willingly dropped whatever wedding plans she had left to do just to be sure I was okay through the ordeal. The knowledge of my sister's love was one of many factors that led me to a speedy recovery.

When I received a challenge to make my first date the Homecoming dance held shortly after the start of my Junior Year of High School, Joanna was right there with me. She helped me decide on several girls that I might ask. Then, when I had made my selection, she helped me ask the young lady out. Though she was in college at that time, she offered to double date with me. While that never happened, the offer was there. When I was preparing to get married, she was one of the first people to accept my bride-to-be as part of the family. When my younger brother got married, Joanna selflessly relieved us early from our duties in the kitchen just so Amy would have a chance to talk to her family that was there.

After I had decided on two part-time opportunities (the temple and working with Welfare Services, the Church's Humanitarian program) for my missionary service, my sister and I had a life-altering conversation, during which she expressed her concern about whether or not I was having enough of a spiritual experience as I served. Though at that time it bothered me a little, I now recognize the concern that went along with that, and I am most grateful.

I remember going with Joanna to a Young Single Adult fireside that she was dispatching for (she worked with the BYU police). At one point, I left the meeting feeling out of it and returned to where she was, where I  wound up lying down to take a nap. Joanna made sure I could still hear the fireside while simultaneously ascertaining that no one disturbed my rest.

And this is merely a sample of all the many wonderful things my sister has done for me. I rejoice in the opportunity to be her younger brother. I rejoice in her successful marriage and family life, particularly the way she is raising my nephew Grant to be a wonderful, kind little man. I am somewhat saddened that the next chapter of her life will take place far away from me, but I know she is anxious for the opportunity for her husband to attend medical school. She departed with her family for the British-owned island of St. Kitts and Nevis late last night, and, thanks to me being involved with work, I missed the chance to see her off. I will miss her more than words can say. But I am grateful that modern technology will assure that she will never be too far away. And it is hoped that part of this new adventure will be giving birth to as many new lives as she and Lyle want. I have plenty of nieces and nephews on my wife's side, but only a niece and a nephew on my side, so I am hoping that being in a different place will help her to fulfill her desires in expanding her family.

I want to end this tribute to my sister with a simple declaration: I love you, Joanna, and no matter what may change in your life, I will always be here for you. Best wishes on your brand new adventure. Oh, and thanks for everything. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.