Stokes Sounds Off: Temple Site Possibilities: Utah Salt Lake City Area--Part Two: The Three Other Temples In This Area/Other Future Possibilities

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Temple Site Possibilities: Utah Salt Lake City Area--Part Two: The Three Other Temples In This Area/Other Future Possibilities

Hello again, everyone! I am back with my second post about the Utah Salt Lake City Area, and will focus this post on the other three temples that serve the Saints within that area. That will include the history of those three, an exploration of the makeup of their current districts, and if, when, and where other new temples might be built to serve the Saints in this area.

So the second temple that was built to serve these Saints was the Jordan River Utah Temple. At the time of its' dedication (which was held between November 16-20, 1981; it is significant to me that this is the only temple of the Church that was originally dedicated by President Marion G. Romney), it became the Church's 20th in operation worldwide.

As we know, it has been closed for renovation since February 15 of last year, and has had its rededication set for May 20 of next year. While it may be too early to tell who might preside at this temple dedication, since this a Salt Lake Valley temple, I am anticipating high attendance from Church leadership.

That said, I had thought the same thing about every Utah temple dedication and rededication that has occurred for the last 3 years, and I always find out later that there weren't as many Church leaders in attendance as I was anticipating. So I am honestly not sure what to expect for this rededication.

When the temple is up and running again, it will continue to serve the Saints in the 66 stakes that comprise its district. There is a chance that this temple district could split at some point, but I am not at all sure if, when, and how that might occur.

I might venture Murray, Riverton, or Taylorsville as potential candidates, but if the Salt Lake district is split at any point, several stakes within this district may also be redistributed at surrounding temples.

That said, I would be interested in hearing any thoughts any of you have about the most likely prospect to effect such a split, and how soon you feel that might occur. Let me know in the comments below.

In addition to the Jordan River and Salt Lake Temples, Saints in the Utah Salt Lake City area are also served by two other temples: Draper and Oquirrh Mountain. I will start with the latter, since that is also located in South Jordan.

As most of you are aware, the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple was announced because of how busy the Jordan River Temple was. At the time of its dedication (which occurred between August 21-23, 2009, with President Thomas S. Monson, who celebrated his 82nd birthday on the first day of that dedication, presiding. That temple brought the number of those in operation to 130.

As for its district, it takes in 35 stakes from the Western Salt Lake Valley. Some have said that this district could be split as well. Because I have friends of my family who relocated a few years ago from Alpine in Utah County to Herriman in the Salt Lake Valley, I know from their reports that Herriman is growing speedily. For that reason, if and when another temple is built to divide this district, I feel confident Herriman will be selected for that honor.

Before moving on to Draper, the final temple in this area, I also wanted to note that President Gordon B. Hinckley announced in General Conference in April 2005 that the Church was holding land in reserve for a temple in the Southwestern part of Salt Lake Valley, and that an official announcement of its location would be made once a temple was needed there.

Some have contended that either the Draper or Oquirrh Mountain temples were likely the location to which President Hinckley referred, but since most sources I have available for such information still list that temple as only being publicly proposed, we know that an official announcement of that location is still pending.

That said, since many of the temples announced by President Monson were publicly proposed and/or referenced by President Hinckley, I feel we could see that location announced fairly soon, wherever it turns out to be.

I'd like to now conclude my discussion of the temple sites in this area by talking about the Draper Utah Temple, which was dedicated from March 20-22, 2009. President Monson presided at this event that gave the Church its' 129th operating temple.

The current composition of the Draper temple district is 29 stakes in the Southeastern Salt Lake Valley. If the Salt Lake Valley continues to grow, I could see a temple announced in the Sandy area, which would take stakes from this district, and also some other from the Jordan River district. Let me know your thoughts on that prospect in the comments below.

Sorry for the length of this post. That does it for the moment. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated. Thank you for the privilege of your time. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

5 comments:

  1. It seems that I've heard that the Church has property for a temple in the Riverton, Bluffdale area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol, for stopping by to share that, and for the information. The one thing about which I often go back and forth in terms of determining the potential temple locations on my list is whether or not member reports can be taken as accurate. For the most part, I have found that they can. With that in mind, if you say that the Church may have property in the Riverton or Bluffdale area, I have no reason to doubt that.That will be something for which I will keep my eyes open. Thanks for letting me know, and for taking time to comment.

      Delete
  2. After the Southwest Temple information was talked about by Pres Hinckley, there was for a while a struggle over land and city limits between Bluffdale and Riverton because it included property both cities were thinking might include that mystery temple property. I haven't kept up with it so I don't know any outcomes but I know Camp Williams has/had a Riverton address but now how a welcome to Bluffdale city sign outside its gate on Redwood Rd.

    I remember the announcement was that property was secured for a temple once population growth warranted an official temple announcement, so I still feel it is a separate and still unannounced future temple.

    I don't see another temple in the northern part of the county before Tooele gets its own temple first. Any growth in Harriman would help off set the loss of Tooele stakes from Salt Lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenny, I apologize for not noticing until just now, but I wanted to respond to the comment you left above. As I mentioned in my comment below, I have been doing more research in my spare time on the potential likely location of the site mentioned by President Hinckley. While I am confident in the information that research has uncovered, I want to be certain about the likelihood that the location in question is the site mentioned by President Hinckley. That will be one of many elements in the process of refining my list of future possibilities. So stay tuned for that. In the meantime, thanks so much for this additional input.

      Delete
  3. Having done more research on the subject within the last few days, and noting that nothing is official until the Church makes an announcement about it, I can now pass along that the land in question appears to be in one of the communities in the Greater Salt Lake area that is growing very quickly. But until the Brethren make that announcement officially, it is up in the air for the moment whether or not that site in that community will actually be used. I will, as time and circumstances permit, be doing more study to verify that the probable location is correct before I release the results of that research. The last thing I want to do on this blog is to spread information that seems likely but might later be proven as incorrect. Stay tuned for more on this as I am able to find out about it.

    In the meantime, I hope any or all of you reading this will feel free to let me know if I have overlooked anything else in covering the current and potential future locations. I will,, as noted in other posts ad comments on this blog, be accepting such feedback until the week before the April General Conference, when my list will need to be finalized. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.