Stokes Sounds Off: Temple Site Possibilities: Mexico Area, Part Three--Potential Future Temples

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Friday, December 1, 2017

Temple Site Possibilities: Mexico Area, Part Three--Potential Future Temples

Hello again, everyone! After taking some personal time to see my PCP and to deal with personal illness yesterday (November 30), I became aware just a few hours ago about some potentially game-changing information regarding temples that are under construction. I will do another post  right after this one is published to discuss what those changes are, and what they might mean for the future, but I feel I would be doing all of you a disservice if I did not first focus on the third and final part of my posts about the Mexico Area. This post will cover future temple prospects that I have on my radar, some of which were not on my list before I began studying the Mexico Area.

First, I wanted to note that I began with three potential sites for that area: Puebla, Queretaro, and perhaps a second for Mexico City as well. But I subsequently learned that the Mexico City Temple has some issues with attendance numbers (that information was provided by one of my readers who lives in Mexico). So I eliminated a second temple for Mexico City, at least for now. So that left me with Puebla and Queretaro. As i did further study, I found two other potential locations: San Luis Potosi, and Acapulco (in the state of Guerrero). Each of these is currently within the Mexico City Mexico Temple District. Let's talk about my reasons for including each one

I have heard from many that Mexico's next temple will be built in Puebla. Though that city is only 81.7  miles from its assigned temple, a temple in Puebla would help cover the units currently served by the Mexico City Mexico Temple. And such a temple in that city makes sense because, at minimum, it would serve the 2 missions, 13 stakes and 1 district, which in turn have 89 wards and 27 branches, for a total of 116 congregations. I could definitely see why the Church would opt for a temple there.

The case for a temple in Queretaro is likewise strong. That state is 135.9 miles away from Mexico City, and would be almost twice that far (207.9 miles) from the Puebla Temple, meaning that if a Puebla Temple drew away from the Mexico City Temple, Queretaro would stay within that district until that state had a temple of its own. That state qualifies for a temple mainly for convenience, as the Church only has 1 mission and 3 stakes in its boundaries, which are divided into 20 wards and 3 branches.

For the next location I see getting a temple, we move to the state of Guerrero, and I am thinking that any temple built there would be in the city of Acapulco, which is one of Mexico's prominent cities. While the state has no missions, there are 4 stakes and 1 district within it, and 2 of those stakes are in Acapulco. The stakes and districts further branch off into 26 wards and 12 branches, for a total of 38 congregations. Additionally, Acapulco is also 235.3 miles.away from Mexico City, would be 278.8 miles away from a temple in Puebla, and would be 366.9 miles from a temple in Queretaro. So Acapulco has a strong case for a temple as well.

I added San Luis Potosi for a few reasons. Though that city has only 3 stakes, there are 21 wards and 8 branches (a total of 29 congregations), Saints in that city have to travel 259.1 miles to the Mexico City Mexico Temple. It is also 329.9 miles away from Puebla, but it would likely fall within the temple district in Queretaro, at least initially, since the two are 131.1 miles apart. And Acapulco is 491 miles from San Luis Potosi.

Even with those locations above that I had on my list, and with those I have added, I am sure there are several locations in Mexico that are deserving of a temple. If I have missed any likely possibilities, or if any of you see a good reason I should eliminate any of them, let me know.

That does it for this post. Thank you for the privilege of your time. I will be back in a few minutes to share the temple updates I talked about at the beginning of this post. Until then, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

6 comments:

  1. San Luis Potosi is an excellent darkhorse pick for the resons you stated. The next temple north of CDMX will be either there or queretaro.

    torreon would have 5 stakes in the city and another 5 outside.

    puebla is strong too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that input, Bryan. Since you've mentioned in your previous comments that you live in Mexico, I would trust you to know more than I do about where future temples might be built there. I also appreciate you mentioning Torreon, which didn't occur to me. I will have to do more studying on that at some point. I appreciate you taking time to comment. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I was also going to mention Torreon, where one of my brothers served his mission. Ldschurchtemples shows 3 stakes in Torreon, 2 more in neighboring Gomez Palacio, and two nearby districts that are currently assigned to Monterrey. I did not look at other temple districts to see if there were other units that might go to Torreon.

    I have also seen Culiacan mentioned as a strong possibility, with 7 stakes and 2 districts that would go there as of the last time Matt did his predictions- I am not sure if any of those units were among the ones discontinued recently. Or there may be other discontinuations coming for all I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your input. It looks like I will need to take a closer look at Torreon in the future. The one question I have, which I am still going back and forth on, is this: with the congregational consolidations occurring in Mexico, how many of these possibilities will be getting temples in the near future, and are there any that could be more different. I will have to do some more study on Torreon in the next little while to see if I can determine the merits of adding it to my list. But apparently there are far more very likely possibilities for future temples in Mexico than I originally realized. I did know that the Mexico Area of the Church is one of the biggest, but it will be interesting to see what unfolds in terms of how, when, and where future temples are announced for Mexico. Thanks again for taking time to comment.

      Delete
    2. Sorry for my confusing wording above. What I meant was, with the congregational consolidations occurring in Mexico, are there any of the above potential sites that could be eliminated, and if so, which ones potentially should be? Also, are there any others I should take a look at, either for the near or far-distant future? Thanks again to you both for your input on this.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.