Stokes Sounds Off: Feedback Requested--Most Likely Location for Nevada's Third Temple

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Feedback Requested--Most Likely Location for Nevada's Third Temple

Hello again, everyone! I wanted to revisit my thoughts on the most likely site for Nevada's next temple, and the hope is that I can, with your assistance, narrow the four possibilities I see for that honor down to the most likely prospect. The four final cities I have on my list right now are Elko, Ely, Fallon, and Henderson. Let me share my thoughts on the merits of each.

The saints in the two stakes the Church has established in Elko currently reside within the Salt Lake Temple district, and that makes their journey to their assigned temple a distance of 229.6 miles, which is above the goal set by President Monson. A temple in Elko would likely serve the Saints in that city and some surrounding regions and might cut down the number of stakes assigned to the Salt Lake temple.

The Saints in Ely travel a fair distance as well. Their assigned temple in Cedar City Utah has been built 201.1 miles from those Saints. Not too far above the 200 mile goal, but still enough of an inordinate distance to warrant a potential temple in Ely.

As for the Saints in Fallon, Nevada, with their assigned temple located in Reno, they have a journey of 62.9 miles to their currently assigned temple in Reno. Not too much of a distance, but the Church could easily build a temple there to save them and the Saints in the surrounding regions from making such a drive.

Rounding out the four is Henderson. The Saints there have the shortest journey of the four possibilities, as they have only 15.8 miles to drive to get to their assigned temple in the capital city. It has seemed to me from my research that the Las Vegas Temple district, which, as noted previously, covers 28 stakes in southern Nevada and two from northwestern Arizona, needs to be split somehow.

A second option to accomplish that would be to build a second temple elsewhere in the Las Vegas area, which is not out of the question since the Church has announced second temples for major cities such as Manila Philippines and Lima Peru. Another option I want to mention (which may or may not be likely) is for the Church to announce a temple for Nevada's capital, which is Carson City. There is one stake of the Church in that city, and that would break up the Reno district as well.

I had asked for additional feedback on this subject before, but after I adjusted my thoughts, I wanted to discuss these candidates in an entirely new post. So you can see that I have my own thoughts on this subject, but I wanted to give you all the opportunity to make any additional comments on these adjustments so that I can narrow these prospects down to the most likely candidate city for Nevada's third temple.

That does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated. Thank you for the privilege of your time, Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.


4 comments:

  1. The Las Vegas area is a high contender. Be it in Henderson or elsewhere in that valley. I think Elko area could be announced in the next 15 to 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Chris! Thanks for taking time to comment. The one thing I keep going back and forth on is that, of the 30 stakes that are served currently by the Las Vegas Temple, 7 of them are based in Henderson. But there are also 20 stakes in that district within the Las Vegax area (one of which serves the northern part of that city). The Logandale stake falls within that district as well, as do the Kingman and Lake Havasu City stakes from Northwestern Arizona. Running the numbers, it appears that the Henderson stakes are roughly 15.8 miles from Las Vegas, while Logandale is 58.6 miles from Las Vegas, the city of Kingman is 103.5 miles from Las Vegas, and the Saints in the Lake Havasu City area have to travel 153.7 miles to reach the Las Vegas Temple. And the city of Las Vegas itself encompasses a 135.9 mile square area. So the Saints on the outer regions of that area do have to travel a fairly long distance. Another thing to consider would be whether any temple built to split the Las Vegas district would also draw away from the Reno district as well. So there is a lot to consider. So would such a temple be better located in Henderson or Logandale? I think splitting the Las Vegas district might be the first step for the Church, however that happens, then the Church could look at temples in Elko and/or Ely. A temple in Elko would likely serve Ely initially as well, since the two are 178.4 miles apart, and since that would be closer to Ely than Cedar City (by 22.7 miles). Sorry about this long reply. Just wanted to mention all of this for consideration as well. Thanks for taking time to comment, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Las Vegas area with its growth is a high contender for another temple, as long as the current temple is staying busy. That is difficult information to gather.

    The second most likely in my opinion is in Elko. A temple would be more likely in Carson City than in Fallon when I lived there but that would be many years off. There is only one stake and it is very large geographically.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Kenny! In your comment above, you have pinpointed one of the most difficult elements of predicting a temple anywhere. There may be many places that could feasibly get a temple. The challenge is to determine which places have the greatest likelihood of actually getting one. I think what I might do is set the next Nevada location on my list as either Logandale or Henderson, and keep Elko, ely, and Carson City on m.y list of possibilities for the future (within the next 15-30 years or so). I definitely see the potential for several new temples in Nevada. So the trick will be to figure out how likely each possibility is as the appropriate time. The process of determining any likely possibilities worldwide is certainly ongoing. That said, it is nice to hear you have had some experiences living in Nevada. That will give me some context to work on when determining how, when, and where to venture temple predictions. Thanks for the feedback, Kenny!

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.