Stokes Sounds Off: President Oaks Marks His Third Tenure Milestone as President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Sunday, October 21, 2018

President Oaks Marks His Third Tenure Milestone as President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Hello again, everyone! As most (if not all) of you will recall, President Russell M. Nelson was ordained Church President on January 14 of this year, and his counselors and the President and Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles were all set apart in those capacities on that same date. As some of you may also recall, I have promised to post my next update on the latest apostolic statistics on Sunday November 4.

I wanted to post now to note that President Dallin H. Oaks, who serves as both First Counselor to President Nelson and as President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, is observing the third tenure milestone in terms of the length of his tenure as President of that Quorum today. He now takes the spot (previously held by President Gordon B. Hinckley) as the Quorum President with the 25th longest tenure. He has previously passed both David O. McKay and Joseph F. Smith earlier this year.

I should also perhaps note that today, his tenure is merely tied with that of President Hinckley. But since the latter has not been the Quorum President since his ordination as Church President on March 12, 1995, it is a pretty safe bet President Oaks will still be serving in that capacity tomorrow, unless there is something of which all of us are unaware.

I need to also mention here that, based on when President Nelson, President Oaks, and their apostolic counterparts will move up on the lists I keep, I have made several adjustments in the data I keep in that regard. An overview of those changes will be coming with my next update on those statistics, which I am planning to post here on Sunday November 4.

I do continue to monitor all such milestones, along with any Church news and temple developments and will do my level best to pass word of those along to you all as I become aware of such things. That does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated. Thank you for the privilege of your time.

If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly-added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

Correction (posted on 10/21/18  @ 6:56 PM): Hello again, everyone! With my thanks to twinnumerouno for pointing this out, it turns out that the milestone described above was President Oaks' third one as Quorum President, not the first. I have corrected the title of this post, and the earlier wording on that subject, but will let the comments on it stand. I apologize for the unintentional error. I will do better with my fact-checking going forward. Thanks again to you all, and especially again to twinnumerouno for drawing my attention to this unintentional error. As noted above, I will be posting my next update on the latest apostolic statistics on November 4. So stay tuned for that. Thanks again to you all.


3 comments:

  1. James, I believe you've forgotten about David O. McKay, he was only Quorum president for 8 months and 1 day (if we count starting from Aug. 8, 1950 when Pres. George F. Richards died, not sure when Pres. McKay was actually set apart but he served simultaneously as 2nd Counselor in the First Presidency).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are, of course, correct, and I had actually reported on that first milestone earlier, when it was observed about a month ago. The title should have read "President Oaks Marks His Second Tenure Milestone." I will fix that right away. Thanks for letting me know. I always appreciate hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made the correction. In consulting the files I keep, it turns out that this is actually the third tenure milestone President Oaks is observing as Quorum President. In the early 1900s, Brigham Young Jr. was serving as Quorum President at the time when Lorenzo Snow passed away.

    President Snow's passing came days after his First Counselor (George Q. Cannon) passed away, and he had named Joseph F. Smith as First Counselor and Rudger Clawson as Second Counselor. The two were never set apart in their new assignments between the time of their calls and the death of President Snow.

    So with President Snow's passing, his two counselors returned to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. If current practice had been followed, President Smith would have served as Quorum President from the time of President Cannon's passing, and Brigham Young Jr. would have served as Acting Quorum President during the time Presidents Cannon and Snow were in the First Presidency. But President Young Jr. was called as Quorum President during that time.

    My point is that President Smith thus only actively served as Quorum President for the 7-day period between President Snow's death and his (President Smith's) subsequent appointment to the First Presidency. Interestingly enough, President Smith would be the first Church President to set someone apart as Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve, establishing that as precedent for situations in the future when any current Quorum President was also serving in the First Presidency.

    In short, given that I overlooked both David O. McKay's service and the week-long service of Joseph F. Smith, President Oaks has observed 3 tenure milestones as Quorum President, not just two, and certainly not one, as I described above. Thanks again, twinnumerouno. I hope you and my other readers will excuse the long-winded comment from me here. I just thought a historical explanation might be in order. Thanks again for catching this error (which led to my research presented in this comment). I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.