Stokes Sounds Off: BREAKING TEMPLE NEWS: Elder Christofferson to Rededicate the Asuncion Paraguay Temple; Site Acquired for the San Pedro Sula Honduras Temple

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Friday, October 11, 2019

BREAKING TEMPLE NEWS: Elder Christofferson to Rededicate the Asuncion Paraguay Temple; Site Acquired for the San Pedro Sula Honduras Temple

Hello again, everyone! Two items of breaking temple news have been shared in two separate reports today. First, and most importantly, this article states point-blank that Elder D. Todd Christofferson will be representing the First Presidency in presiding over the one-session private rededicaton for the Asuncion Paraguay Temple, which is set to occur on November 3. The rededication will occur at 10:00 AM Asuncion time, which is 7:00 AM here in Utah. As some of you may recall, I had conjectured that President Oaks could rededicate that temple, and that Elder Christofferson might thus dedicate the Arequipa Peru Temple in December.
But in so conjecturing, I had forgotten somehow that President Oaks presided at the mid-June rededication of the Oakland California Temple. So it makes sense Elder Christofferson will rededicate that temple. WIth that said, I would like to thank long-time reader and regular comment contributor ScottS for bringing this information to my attention. And I am grateful that my theory has been verified (that Elder Christofferson would be the most junior current apostle to be tasked with presiding over a temple rededication). November will certainly be a busy month for Elder Christofferson, who will, as was also recently announced, accompany President Nelson on his Southeast Asia leg of his ongoing Global Ministry Tour.

As ScottS observed in his comment in the threads of my previous post, that leaves Elders Rasband, Stevenson, and Gong as the only apostles left who have not yet presided at a temple event this year. It is my feeling that the Church might send one of the apostles who speak Spanish to dedicate the Arequipa Peru Temple, but unless one of the remaining three speak fluent Spanish (about which I am honestly not sure), I don't know who might be asked to preside at the dedication of that temple. But i will say this: Since both Elders Stevenson and Gong have strong connections to Japan, it is my feeling that either or both of them could very well accompany the more senior apostle who may be sent to rededicate the Tokyo Japan Temple when that occurs in mid-2020.

If this were the only temple news I had to share, it would be significant enough. but the Church News also published this article, which described how several of the female general officers of the Church visited Central America just before General Conference. Amidst the many quotes from the visiting leaders in that article, Geeneral Relief Society President Sister Jean B. Bingham made the following statement: "The members in Honduras and Guatemala treasure their temples. We drove by the beautiful lot identified for the San Pedro Sula Honduras Temple . . . visited the grounds of the magnificent illuminated Quetzaltenango temple one evening, and heard the sisters bear testimony of the uplifting, peace-giving influence of being within the temple."

Sister Bingham's statement appears to indicate that the site for the San Pedro Sula Honduras Temple has been acquired. While I didn't see anything publicly verifying the site location by way of either a photo or a futher description, it is interesting that the Church has already acquired such a site, and that it appears that, wherever it might be, that will almost certainly be the actual location for the temple. We will have to wait for the official Church confirmaton about that, but I did find the information interesting, and hope all of you will as well. In the meantime, I do continue to monitor all Church news and temple developments, and will be sure to pass word of such things along to you all as I become aware of them.

That does it for now. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, on any post at any time, as long as such comments are made in accordance with the established guidelines. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

8 comments:

  1. Hello again, everyone! The Church News just reported the passing of another emeritus General Authority Seventy, Elder James O. Mason. You can read about the tribute to his life, the arrangements for his funeral services, and information about his assignments and the only General Conference talk he gave during his 5 years of service at the following web address:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/archives/2019-10-11/elder-james-o-mason-emeritus-general-authority-seventy-dies-at-age-89-163981

    My thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elder Mason's son, also named James, was my bishop as I left on my mission. Excellent family.

      Delete
    2. coachodeeps, it has always intrigued me to see how each one of us connects to various others we know. Awesome to hear of your indirect connection to Elder Mason. Thanks for sharing that.

      Delete
  2. The Asuncion Paraguay temple have you seen the 3 screens in the ordinance room? That's a first I've ever seen the use of 3 not one. Anyone have any idea what this could be used for?

    Check out the picture 15/28 you'll see it

    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/asuncion-paraguay-temple-public-tours

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three screens? Maybe for language. I know Wikipedia is not the most reliable source but it says that Spanish is spoken by 87% of the population in Paraguay and Guarani by 90%. The only native language in the Americas spoken by a majority of a countries population including non-native speakers. Most American countries usually speak a European language such as Spanish, French or English and the natives may have lost their language. Paraguay has about 13 other native languages. I wonder if they have a Sign Language as well. That might explain a need for the three screens. Or it may be a way of doing the presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, William and Chris! My thanks to you both for taking time to comment. I'd imagine that with the Asuncion temple, different scheduled sessions during each day/week are held in different lanuguages, and if there are 3 options for that, that could explain the 3 screens, with each screen being specifically designated for each of those 3 main languages at that temple. And I am not entirely sure, but I could see two of them being designated for English and Spanish, with a third on which the language can be rotated according to the needs of that session. At least, that would be my guess. I imagine it is easier to do it that way than it would be to have one screen for which the endowment language is regularly switched. Unless we can find more information indicating otherwise, I'd assume that could be the case. Hope this information is helpful. In the meantime, my thanks again to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again, everyone! The latest edition of "This Week on Social" has been published:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-11/this-week-on-social-want-to-learn-more-about-your-favorite-general-conference-talks-just-turn-to-facebook-163989

    This one was a huge edition, containing posts related entirely to the addresses given during General Conference weekend, highlighting talks by all ordained apostles and several of the female general officers of the Church, which broke down as follows:

    Church President Russell M. Nelson (from whom 4 posts were shared); his First Counselor, President Dallin H. Oaks (from whom 2 posts were shared); his Second Counselor, Henry B. Eyring (from whom 2 posts were shared); Acting President M. Russell Ballard and Elders Jeffrey R. Holland, Dieter F. Uchtdorf, David A. Bednar, Quentin L. Cook, D. Todd Christofferson, Neil L. Andersen, Ronald A. Rasband, Gary E. Stevenson, Dale G. Renlund, Gerrit W. Gong and Ulisses Soares of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles; Young Women General President Sister Bonnie H. Cordon and her First Counselor, Sister Michelle D. Craig (from whom 2 posts each were shared); and Sister Lisa L. Harkness, First Counselor in the Primary General Presidency.

    My thanks again to you all for your continued interest and ongoing support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to report some additional temple updates which have crossed my radar today. First, after an extended period of time passed with no additional updates on the Urdaneta Philippines Temple, within the last few days, new information provided on the Church of Jesus Christ Temples website notes that rebar is now being set for the temple's exterior walls.

    And that brings me to another piece of information: I had mentioned earlier here on this blog that, given the relatively consistent progress made on the construction of the Pocatello Idaho Temple, which has been consistently steady, I had moved it ahead of the Quito Ecuador Temple, since that temple will be smaller, but has made far less consistent progress, and since the status of that temple has remained the same for the last several months.

    In view of the unexpected surge of progress on the Urdaneta Philippines Temple as evidenced by today's update, and due to the fact that the status of the Quito temple has remained unchanged as long as it has, I moved that one ahead of the Quito Ecuador Temple as well. I am hoping work picks up on Quito soon, but until that happens, I feel justified in moving it for now. I will be determining at a later time what that may mean for my previously-offered more specific estimates for temple events which are anticipated to occur during 2021.

    In the meantime, given the game-changing nature of some of the latest updates on temples which have not yet had a groundbreaking announced, I will be looking at a large-scale revision and reworking of the "Groundbreaking anticipated" and "Announced" sections of my temple construction progress report. There will likely need to be some reshuffling based on information I have vs. information I am lacking. I am hopeful that I will be able to publish my revisions to those two sections within the next week, if not sooner.

    In the meantime, I will also be watching for the coverage that will be provided this weekend on the private rededication of the Raleigh North Carolina Temple, over which Acting President M. Russell Ballard will preside. And I also have not forgotten my promise to post my analysis of the results of my predictions for the October 2019 General Conference. So stay tuned for all of that. In the meantime, my thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.