Stokes Sounds Off: BREAKING TEMPLE NEWS: President Nelson Announces 17 New Temples

Search This Blog

Top Leaderboard

Sunday, April 3, 2022

BREAKING TEMPLE NEWS: President Nelson Announces 17 New Temples

Hello again, everyone! At the end of his address to conclude the April 2022 General Conference, our beloved prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, announced 17 new temples, which will be built in the following locations: Wellington New Zealand, Brazzaville Republic of the Congo, Barcelona Spain, Birmingham England (UK), Cusco Peru, Maceio and Santos Brazil, San Luis Potosi and Mexico City Benemérito, Tampa Florida, Knoxville Tennessee, Cleveland Ohio, Wichita Kansas, Austin Texas, Missoula Montana, Montpelier Idaho, and Modesto California.

Regarding the temples that were announced today, I had the precise location correct for 10 of them (Wellington NZ, Barcelona Spain, Birmingham England (UK), Cusco Peru, Knoxville Tennesee, Cleveland Ohio, Wichita Kansas, Austin Texas, and Missoula Montana. I had the right general location (nation, state, or region) for 5 others. I favored Pointe-Noire over Brazzaville and I was reasonably certain that temples in Brazil and Mexico would both be announced. I was surprised there were 2 each for each nation.

I believe that I can take credit for being partially right on the Mexico City Mexico Benemerito Temple, since I had a Mexico City South Mexico Temple on my list. Likewise, I was reasonably certain another temple was coming for Florida, but I had Pensacola/Jacksonville instead of Tampa. And I wasn't anticipating San Luis Potosi this soon, nor were Maceio and Santos on my radar. and the final 2 (Montpelier Idaho and Medesto California) weren't either. 

With today's announcement, the number of temples in any phase has increased from 265 to 282. And the total number of temples announced by President Nelson has now officially reached 100. Of course, that also raises the number of announced temples to 66. I am more impressed than ever to see how President Nelson's inspired announcements are constantly bringing temples closer to the people who have previously experienced undue hardship to get to their currently-assigned temples.

As previously noted, groundbreakings have been scheduled for the following 8 temples between April and June: Bahia Blanca Argentina, Grand Junction Colorado, Lindon Utah, Farmington New Mexico, Elko Nevada, Burley Idaho, Smithfield Utah, and Yorba Linda California. I have a feeling that before the last of these (Smithfield and Yorba Linda) have their groundbreakings on June 18, the Church will have scheduled others. I am not sure which temples could have groundbreaking arrangements announced by June 18, but wouldn't be shocked if the Willamette Valley Oregon, Ephraim Utah, Belo Horizonte Brazil, Torreon Mexico, and Cali Colombia Temples were among the next to have groundbreakings set.

I also anticipate that either before the end of June or in August or September, announcements would be made Greater Guatemala City Guatemala, Queretaro Mexico, Cape Town South Africa, Tarawa Kiribati, Port Vila Vanuatu, and Port Moresby Papua New Guinea. And of course, we can't rule out other unexpected announcements leading to groundbreakings for other temples.

Whatever might happen in terms of Church news updates or temple developments, you can count on my reporting those to you all as I become aware of all such reports. In the meantime, that does it for now. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, on any post at any time, as long as such feedback offered is consistent with the established guidelines.

I hope any of you who would like to share anything will take your opportunity to “sound off” in the comments below. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

11 comments:

  1. If my math is correct, with the announcement of 17 Temples, that makes 100 Temples that President Nelson has announced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Church News and the Newsroom both confirmed that after I published this, so that milestone is now included in the post. Thanks, Dianne. I always appreciate hearing from you.

      Delete
  2. Way to nail it. It’s always so exciting to hear the temple announcements. It’s so cool to see Africa getting more and more temples. And now all of potential FL or TN fellowship locales have or will have a temple. Whoop 🙌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Jo! Thanks for weighing in here. I've mentioned in the relatively recent past that Elder Kevin S. Hamilton presided at our December stake conference. During that conference, he said the Church had over 300 temples in various phases. Since there were 265 temples at that time, that implies there are 35 that could be announced this year. I had thought that the Church might go for a 16/19 split in April/October respectively, but since there were 17 announced today, I think we can count on at least 18 temples being annnounced in October. The last three Brazil temples really threw me off, because by the normal criteria I use, Vitoria, Maceio, and Santos Brazil weren't even on my radar.

      So what I might have to do in preparation for October is look into areas that are more isolated, and maybe add a few of them to my list. It's also worth mentioning that the Republic of the Congo had been the nation with the fourth-strongest Church presence without a temple before today:

      http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/2022/03/updated-10-countries-with-most-members.html

      President Nelson has placed a high priority on bringing the temples to the people, so I'll be interested to see how the usual criteria changes in the coming months and years. Great to hear from you, sis! Hope all is well with you and yours. Stay safe in the storm zone.

      Delete
  3. As a new week begins, the Church News shared the following additional reports:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/general-conference/2022-04-04/general-conference-april-2022-download-pdf-talk-summaries-249365

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/English%E2%80%94ConferenceSummaries0422.pdf

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2022-04-03/general-conference-april-2022-temple-announcements-russell-nelson-reaction-hundred-249522

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2022-04-01/lds-general-conference-april-2022-talks-photos-summaries-248216

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/general-conference/2022-04-03/general-conference-april-2022-key-topics-session-summaries-new-leaders-249538

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/general-conference/2022-04-03/general-conference-april-2022-key-topics-session-summaries-new-leaders-249538

    That article has subsections full of other links that I will not share here.

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/general-conference/2022-04-03/april-2022-general-conference-message-talk-summaries-249537

    And here is one new report from the Newsroom:

    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-refugees-europe

    If there are any new temple construction updates, I will share them later today. My thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Newsroom has shared the following additional report:

      https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/download-a-pdf-of-talk-summaries-from-april-2022-general-conference

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
    2. Status updates have been noted for the following temples: Salta Argentina, Harare Zimbabwe, Neiafu Tonga, and Manti Utah:

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/salta-argentina-temple/

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/harare-zimbabwe-temple/

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/neiafu-tonga-temple/

      https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/manti-utah-temple/

      My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
  4. Gotta tell you. It was so much fun reading everyone's guesses. I made my own this and only got two correct. The Birmingham England and the Wichita Kansas temple. But great job on guessing 10.

    I will be a lot more active now and put things in that I may see.

    On a side note. I know a family in Montpellier ID. I guess the church bought a large piece of property very close to the center of town.

    They thought it was going to be a new stake center and a bishop storehouse. Some of them were Joking that it was going to be Temple.

    Boy did they get a shock. A lot of tears of happiness. Very happy for them.

    Even though Birmingham was on my list I still expected a Scotland temple before another England Temple.

    Onward we go.

    Again thanks for everything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc, thanks for this additional comment. Thanks for providing that information about the Montpelier Idaho Temple. The same type of situation occurred with the Rexburg North Idaho Temple, which was announced in October of last year. So hopefully official announcements on both of Idaho's newest temples may be forthcoming soon. It wouldn't shock me if a Scotland Temple was announced before the next England Temple. I was intrigued that the announcement of the Birmingham Temple included the specified location as "United Kingdom" rather than "England", which was used for the London and Preston Temples.

      Feel free to continue to comment as frequently as you'd like to do so. In the meantime, thanks for your additional comment here.

      Delete
  5. Hello again, everyone! I am starting a new comment thread here to advise you of a new post I published just a few minutes ago. I had forgotten that, during his introductory remarks for the Women's Session, President Oaks represented the First Presidency in announcing significant changes to the focus, structure, and parameters of the Saturday Evening Session, which is set to continue "for now". So I published that post, retroactively dating it to Saturday, just a few minutes ago. That post can be found at the following web address:

    https://stokessoundsoff.blogspot.com/2022/04/breaking-news-new-guidelines-and.html

    You can also access that post by clicking on the link at the bottom right of this blog post. Just wanted to pass that along, because it was an unexpected development. My thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On this Tuesday, the Church News has published the following additional reports:

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/temples/2022-04-03/general-conference-april-2022-temple-announcements-russell-nelson-reaction-hundred-249522

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/podcast/2022-04-05/episode-77-april-2022-general-conference-recap-jesus-christ-offers-peace-in-turbulent-times-249650

      https://www.thechurchnews.com/global/2022-04-05/how-european-latter-day-saints-helping-ukrainian-refugees-249675

      There have apparently also been no new temple updates today. My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.