Stokes Sounds Off: BREAKING NEWS: First 13 Hymns from the New Hymnbook Have Been Released

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 29, 2024

BREAKING NEWS: First 13 Hymns from the New Hymnbook Have Been Released

Hello again, everyone! As announced just before General Conference weekend, the Church has released the first 13 hymns that will be featured in the new global Hymns--for Home and Church. From the Sabbath and Weekday Section, the following hymns have been released: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing; When the Savior Comes Again; It Is Well With My Soul; I Will Walk With Jesus; His Eye Is On the Sparrow; Think a Sacred Song; As Bread Is Broken; Bread of Life, Living Water; and Gethsemane.

From the Easter and Christmas Section, the following hymns have been released: Hail the Day that Sees Him Rise; He Is Born, the Divine Christ Child; What Child Is This?; and Star Bright. I am pleased to see several that I personally recognize (Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing; It Is Well With My Soul; I Will Walk with Jesus (a Primary song); His Eye Is On the Sparrow, Gethsemane; He Is Born, the Divine Christ Child; and What Child Is This?). I look forward to learning the others.

I was surprised and intrigued by the numbering system. The Sabbath and Weekday Hymns have a preface number of 10 and then numerical values from 01-09. The Easter and Crhstimas Section also uses numerical values from 01-04, but are prefaced by the number 12. I don't know if that's the numbering system that will stick, but I was intrigued by that. I am grateful for the release of these new selections. 

I will monitor when the next selections are announced and will post my analysis on those as they are released. I continue to monitor any and all Church News, Newsroom, and Church of Jesus Christ Temples updates and will be sure to pass word of those along to you all as they cross my radar. In the meantime, that does it for now. All comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated on any post at any time, as long as the offered feedback is made per the established guidelines. 

I hope any of you who would like to share anything will take your opportunity to “sound off” in the comments below. Please subscribe if you liked what you read here and would like to be informed of newly added posts and comments. Thank you for the privilege of your time. Until my next post, I wish you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

5 comments:

  1. My ward choir has sung the songs "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing" and "Bread of Life, Living Water." The former has been sung in General Conference, as have "It Is Well with My Soul" and "His Eye is On the Sparrow." I am looking forward to getting to know "He is Born, the Divine Christ Child"- I was exposed to it in French on my mission in Quebec.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. twinnumerouno, thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I started listening to the new hymns last night. I think there are a lot of people who have associations with these hymns one way or another. I was intrigued that your ward choir sang "Bread of Life, Living Water", as I had not heard of that one before last night. I was, of course, aware of the recent performances of Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing, It Is Well with My Soul, and His Eye is On the Sparrow. I was actually first exposed to "He Is Born, the Divine Christ Child" in my High School French class. So seeing that it will now be in our Hymnbook was significant to me. I am personally hoping that subsequent releases include some music by Sally DeFord, who has done some great hymn writing and arranging. I had thought that she wrote the words or music to one of the first 13 releases, but apparently I was mistaken. It will be interesting to see how these new selections are incorporated into our Church meetings. My mom was mentioning she listened to every one of the new selections already. I've only listened to one or two so far. I look forward to the next releases, whenever that may occur. in the meantime, twinnumerouno, thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts here. I always appreciate hearing from you.

      Delete
  2. Hello again, everyone! On this Thursday, the Newsroom and the Church News have covered the release of these first 13 hymns. The Church News has also announced leadership changes for the Church News as a result of last week's announcement that Sarah Jane Weaver was appointed as the editor of the Deseret News.

    The changes note that Jon Ryan Jensen is now the Church News editor. Sister Weaver will step away as host of the Church News podcast and as a regular columnist for the Church News, but will still have some oversight of the Church News in her new role as editor of the Church News. No word yet on who will host the Church News podcast, but I assume it will be the new editor or one of the reporters for the Church News.

    The Church News has also shared two more reports, which speak for themselves. My thanks once again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This week's edition of the Church News podcast also focused on the release of the new music today. My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete
    2. The Church News has shared one new report. My thanks once again to you all.

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.