Stokes Sounds Off: Case Study: Could any of the temples scheduled for renovation be expanded

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Monday, July 24, 2017

Case Study: Could any of the temples scheduled for renovation be expanded

Hello, all! Despite what I thought and stated in my last post, I have put together one more post for today. I have recently become more curious about whether or not an expansion might be possible for any of the comparatively smaller and more modest temples that are scheduled for renovation In doing study on that subject, I was intrigued by my findings. I share them with you now so I can get your thoughts. I look forward to the discussion. Enjoy!

Temples scheduled for renovations:

Memphis Tennessee: 6.35 acre lot (includes adjacent meetinghouse, which, with the parking lot, may account for roughly 75% of that acreage (which, if correct, works out to roughly 4.77 acres); area of the temple itself: 10,700 square feet (which, if my calculations are correct, works out to around 0.24 acres)
Please also note that the design of this temple may be similar, if not identical, to the Asuncion Paraguay, Raleigh North Carolina, and Baton Rouge Louisiana Temples.
Conclusion: If the calculations above are correct (and they might not be), in theory, there might be room for this temple to expand. However, some experts on temple matters with whom I shared this theory noted that there wasn’t much room within the current area on which the temple sits for such an expansion to happen. I am doing some study on this matter to try to figure out how feasible an expansion might be, but for now, it doesn’t seem likely.

Oklahoma City Oklahoma: 1 acre lot (43,560 square feet); area of the temple itself: 10,769 square feet.
Conclusion: Expansion may be a possibility, as there is room within the lot for such an expansion. How likely an expansion might be is another question entirely.

Asuncion Paraguay: 7 acre lot; area of the temple itself: 10,700 square feet (design may be similar, if not identical, to Memphis Tennessee, Raleigh North Carolina and Baton Rouge Louisiana)
Conclusion: Plenty of room for an expansion, so it might be possible

Raleigh North Carolina: 12 acre lot; area of the temple itself: 10,700 square feet (design may be similar, if not identical to Memphis Tennessee, Asuncion Paraguay and Baton Rouge Louisiana)
Conclusion: If member reports are correct, an expansion is not part of the plan for this temple. There is, however, plenty of room on the lot to expand it. I won’t be surprised either way.

Baton Rouge Louisiana: 6.3 acre lot (includes adjoining meeting house, which may account for roughly 75% of that acreage; area of the temple itself: 10,700 square feet (design may be similar, if not identical to Memphis Tennessee, Asuncion Paraguay, and Raleigh North Carolina)
Conclusion: Expansion possible; plenty of room to expand the temple; wouldn’t surprise me either way.


NOTE: For the planned renovations of the Tokyo Japan, Oakland California, Washington DC, and Mesa Arizona Temples, the main purpose seems to be to update electrical and mechanical systems and bring them up-to-date and up-to-code. An expansion of these temples seems unlikely. Most of the others scheduled for renovation seem to have plenty of room to expand. The question is, is an expansion planned for any of them? It seems possible, especially as I was advised a while ago that it may make more sense to expand some of these smaller temples than it would to build others. I will keep an eye out for developments on this front and pass along any updates as I become aware of them.

3 comments:

  1. I like to look at the Arial view in Rick's Temple site. It is the satellite view. You can get an idea of the way the lot is configured and see how an expansion might fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Chris! My blog somehow duplicated your comment, so I went ahead and deleted the extra one. I also have heard from a few temple experts that, unless plans change, an expansion may not be likely. I am studying more about this matter, and will continue to post any changes in thinking or new information I found out. Maybe the aerial view would help me in that research. I will look into that. As always, thanks, Chris!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.