Stokes Sounds Off: Interesting wording in article about President Eyring minstering to Puerto Rican Saints

Search This Blog

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Interesting wording in article about President Eyring minstering to Puerto Rican Saints

Hello, everyone! Though there have been several new Church news articles published today that are important and are very worthy of a blog post devoted to discussion and summary on this blog, because I have had quite a bit more health issues to battle in the last week, particularly in the last couple of days (nothing to be concerned about, just a bit more overwhelming than usual), my energy and ability to do such a post is lacking for now. I hope that changes tomorrow, and that today was just a product of my body not knowing how to react after a fairly good night's sleep (which followed several restless nights, on some of which I was not able to sleep at all). If that's all that has made today slightly more difficult than usual, then I should be back to normal tomorrow, especially if I am able to sleep well again.

Anyways, one thing I did want to note is that  an article about how President Eyring has been ministering to Puerto Rican Saints in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, the wording of a sentence in the article indicated that President Eyring would play a "key role" during General Conference.

That could mean any number of things, especially in light of what I posted about a day or two ago, that President Monson would not be speaking at, or even attending, General Conference. Perhaps all that was meant by that interesting statement was that President Eyring would be the one presiding at all General Conference sessions, and that he would be recognized as doing so in every General Conference Session. As I noted almost six months ago, the Church News's summary article of General Conference last April had stated that President Eyring presided at 3 of the 6 General Conference sessions, even though that was not stated by the one conducting the session or subsequently in the Conference Summary provided in the May Ensign devoted to General Conference. If that happens, it would indeed constitute a "key role".

But it could also mean that, in the absence of President Monson, President Eyring, with his advice and consent, will either deliver a message in President Monson's behalf, or that he will be the one to make any announcements about temples and/or any new policies or practices of the Church.

Maybe this isn't something I should be analyzing or speculating about. After all, we will know one way or another what is meant by that statement in just over two weeks. In fact, we could have this question settled 48 hours from now. After all, the General Women's Session will be held at 6:00 PM MDT Saturday, and if, at the beginning of that session, the one conducting mentions that he is presiding, we will know that is probably what was meant. But I do think it could mean that President Eyring will be filling some responsibilities that have traditionally been taken care of by President Monson, which would include announcing any new temples or any new policies or practices of the Church.

I did want to mention another possibility that occurred to me. If my memory serves me correctly, sometime after the Manifesto and Revelation on the Priesthood were accepted, each of those documents were added to the next edition of the Doctrine & Covenants. I have often felt that the time would come when the Church will officially canonize "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" and "The Living Christ--The Testimony of the Apostles". It could be that, since President Eyring will likely conduct the Sustaining of Church Officers" during General Conference, since he has led out in that every October since becoming President Monson's First Counselor, that something like that will be part of it.

I have given my thoughts on this. What do you all think about the interesting way that statement was worded? I look forward to hearing what you have to say, and, as always, I welcome anyone who would like to comment to do so. For now, thank you for the privilege of your time, and until my next post (which will hopefully be done tomorrow, and which may be the best opportunity to do that update on the latest Church news), I wish you all the best.


No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.