Stokes Sounds Off: Temple Construction Progress During the Third Quarter of 2019: Part Five—Announced Temples

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Monday, September 30, 2019

Temple Construction Progress During the Third Quarter of 2019: Part Five—Announced Temples

Hello again, everyone! I am back again with my fifth and final post in this mini-series which has shared the temple progress made during this second quarter of 2019. This post, which serves as a capstone to that coverage, will share the two different versions of the "Announced Temples" section of my report, the first one as it was on April 1, and the second as it is today. The information, which speaks for itself, follows below. In order to not disturb the flow of that information, I will end here as I always do:


That does it for now. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, on any post at any time, as long as such feedback is in compliance with the established guidelines. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

July 1, 2019.


Note on announced temples: During 2019, I again reevaluated the information I had available, and made further adjustments to this section following the completion of the revision process for the “Groundbreaking anticipated” section. The following estimates represent my best efforts to predict the timing for the future groundbreaking of each of these temples based on what I currently know about them.



Announced Temples (for which more information is needed before I provide a groundbreaking estimate):
189. Layton Utah Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
Note: A potential site has already been identified (though not yet confirmed) for this temple.
190. Belem Brazil Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
Note: On March 7, 2019, based on the unexpected timing whereby groundbreakings were announced for the Quito Ecuador and Lima Peru Los Olivos Temples, and given the anticipated timing for the groundbreaking of the Harare Zimbabwe Temple, the Belem Brazil Temple is the only other one announced in April 2016 that is not yet close to a groundbreaking. And since President Nelson has given some priority to the “oldest” among the announced temples, I am hoping the Lord will similarly surprise us with word on this temple’s site and groundbreaking in the not-too-distant future.
191. Managua Nicaragua Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
Note: I found out several years ago that the Church had held land in reserve for a temple in this city for a while now, so I hope that means a site confirmation will occur sooner rather than later.
192. Bengaluru India Temple: Planning and approval phase; announced April 1, 2018; awaiting official site announcement; President Nelson toured potential locations on April 19, 2018.
193. Auckland New Zealand Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
Note: I found out several years ago that the Church had held land in reserve for a temple in this city for a while now (with that fact confirmed by a Church member living in that area), so I hope that means a site confirmation will occur sooner rather than later.
194. Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement; groundbreaking could occur in mid-2020.
Note: A potential site has been identified (though not yet confirmed) for this temple.
195. Yuba City, California Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
Note: A potential site has been identified (though not yet confirmed) for this temple.
196. Washington County Utah Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official city (and site) announcement.
197. Salvador Brazil Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
198. Lagos Nigeria Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
199. Cagayan de Oro Philippines Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
200. Davao Philippines Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
201. Russia Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official city (and site) announcement.



September 30, 2019.

Note on announced temples: During 2019, I again reevaluated the information I had available, and made further adjustments to this section following the completion of the revision process for the “Groundbreaking anticipated” section. The following estimates represent my best efforts to predict the timing for the future groundbreaking of each of these temples based on what I currently know about them.

Announced Temples (for which more information is needed before I provide a groundbreaking estimate):
195. Managua Nicaragua Temple: Planning and approval phase; potential site acquired; awaiting official confirmation. 
196. Phnom Penh Cambodia Temple: Planning and approval phase; potential site acquired; awaiting official confirmation.
197. Moses Lake Washington Temple: Planning and approval phase; potential site acquired; awaiting official confirmation
198. Salvador Brazil Temple: Planning and approval phase; potential site identified.
199. Antofagasta Chile Temple: Planning and approval phase; potential site identified.
200. Washington County Utah Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official city (and site) announcement.
201. Lagos Nigeria Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
202. Cagayan de Oro Philippines Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
203. Davao Philippines Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
204. Pago Pago American Samoa Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
205. Okinawa City Okinawa (Japan) Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
206. Neiafu Tonga Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
207. San Pedro Sula Honduras Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
208. Budapest Hungary Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official site announcement.
209. Russia Temple: Planning and approval phase; awaiting official city (and site) announcement.


7 comments:

  1. Hello again, everyone! I have additional Church news to pass along, which largely speaks for itself. Those new developments can be found at the following web address:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2019-09-30/germany-nepal-home-of-hope-157307

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-01/elder-holland-devotional-utah-state-last-days-optimism-162107

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-01/un-geneva-latter-day-saint-charities-161943

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-01/general-conference-lds-world-report-162235

    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/october-2019-general-conference-quick-guide

    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/world-report

    My thanks once again to you all for your continued interest and ongoing support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman and children who are baptized can now serve as witness at baptisms. Women can witness for sealings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I saw that announcement around 1.5 hours after you made this comment, and posted about this development before I did my first check of comments on this blog. While I appreciate your enthusiasm for such news, could I make a request? I am wondering if, in future, when you share word of such developments here and on the threads of the Church Growth Blog, it would be possible for you to share the relevant web address(es) for such developments. If you were able to do so, people could more easily find the information to which you are referring, rather than having to do more digging on their own. And that would help me particularly here because that way, my readers can easily know where to find more information on such developments in the future. I apologize for any offense or inconvenience this request may cause, but hope you know my only objective is to improve and increase the credibility of the information you provide in such settings. Thanks again, Chris, for taking time to comment.

      Delete
    2. I'm sorry. I thought about that after I posted. But I saw it on several news sources, including thechurchnews.com as well as an email from the church.

      Delete
    3. No worries, Chris. And I don't want you to be unduly troubled about it. Yes, the sources exist in abundance at times when changes like these are announced. But what I have tried to do (and what I hope to encourage you and all others who comment here and on the Church Growth Blog) is cite those sources as I go, and that way, not only is there verification for what I am saying, but I have already done the legwork so others don't have to. And I think that if anything I say can encourage you and anyone else here or on the Church Growth Blog to kind of mutually help me and enable all of us who comment in both places to essentially help each other, it will be a very good thing all around. Thanks for understanding. Again, very exciting news.

      Delete
  3. Instead of all of that, here's a better response you could have used to let people feel that you appreciate their comments that keep your blog current while you can't. It also subtly implies that you want links there without you having to make a big dea about it.

    Next time, try this:

    Thank you for the news, that's a heart-warming development. Here is the link for anyone that wants to read themselves.

    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/october-2019-general-conference-first-presidency-leadership-session?cid=HP_NWSRM_10_2_19

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to share your feedback, and for your expressed concern relating to my above interaction with L. Chris Jones. What you may not be aware of is that he is a long-time follower of this blog who regularly offers feedback, and he is also a very good friend. For that reason, the substance and tone of my exchanges with him will be markedly different than my interactions with other people who comment less regularly. In fact, with all due respect to you personally as someone who may not have commented as regularly here, you seem to be taking more exception and offense in this matter than he himself did.

      Also, on another note, with all due respect to you as well, I find it difficult to take feedback seriously if I don't know from whom it is coming. That is why in the comment submission form, I included a note requesting that all who comment with the "Anonymous" or "Unknown" moniker leave a name by which they can be identified. With the various threads on this blog, that helps me keep the conversations here straight, since I try to respond personally to as many comments as I can.

      What I am trying to say (and am apparently not saying very well) is that I assume your feedback is well-intentioned, but not knowing who is offering it, I can't tell for sure. But I also know you may not have had all the facts. So if we were talking about someone who doesn't comment regularly here like yourself, you'd definitely have a well-taken point, but for a long-time contributor to these threads like L. Chris Jones, since I know him a little better as a good friend, I can be more forthright and straight with him than I would be with anyone else. But I will definitely keep your feedback in mind for interactions with less regular contributors such as yourself. Thanks for taking time to stop by and share your thoughts. No offense taken here from your feedback, and I hope none is taken by you from my response here. Thanks again.

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.