Stokes Sounds Off: Initial Predictions for the April 2021 General Conference

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Monday, February 1, 2021

Initial Predictions for the April 2021 General Conference

Hello again, everyone! As we begin this second month of 2021, I have a few different projects in the pipeline. Among those on which I have had to put in frequent but sporadic work are my initial predictions for the April 2021 General Conference. I am pleased to present those to you today for your review and feedback. I will do so by sharing links to the relevant files. I will note at the outset that my predictions for the speaker layout are based on the announced parameters for the upcoming General Conference, and that the changes in Church leadership have been based on the announcement of new mission and temple presidents

Additionally, the projected numbers for the statistical report (which are featured in the same document covering anticipated Church leadership changes) are based on what has been confirmed, what can be calculated, or otherwise, thorugh a complex algorithm that hasn't always worked. In the meantime, new to the initial draft of my predictions this go-round, I have adjusted my list of potential locations in which a temple could be announced.

Aside from some new locations making the list for the first time, I have in some cases provided two or more potential locations for a specific nation or state because I had a hard time narrowing them down further than that. I have also opted, for this initial draft, to eliminate the accompanying references for context, because I want the list to be able to speak for itself until I have it slimmed down a bit more. I also hope that without the distraction of the lengthy notes section for the temple locations, that might more fully open up the conversation about these predictions. At some point, should the need arise to do so, I will add any adjusted notes for context.

That said, I am pleased to declare the commenting period on these predictions is open, effective immediately, through Thursday April 1 at 10:00 PM, which will give me 36 hours to make any final adjustments to these predictions. Between now and then, when appropriate, I will be providing updates that may be needed based on the feedback I receive on them here. Thanks for your consideration of these predictions. I look forward to your input.

I will also continue to monitor all Church news updates and temple developments, and will be sure to pass word of those along to you all as I become aware of them. For the immediate future, I am planning on providing a new post on Saturday in honor of Elder Ronald A. Rasband's 70th birthday, and have a couple of apostolic tenure milestones to cover before I provide the next full apostolic data update on March 14. Stay tuned for all of that.

That does it for now. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, on any post at any time, as long as such comments are made in accordance with the established guidelines. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

5 comments:

  1. Hello again, everyone! There will be additional Church news and temple updates to report in the days ahead. But I want to keep the comments section of this post free for comments about my General Conference predictions, so until the next major Church news, temple development, or other coverage is provided, I will continue to provide any new reports through the threads of the previous post, beginning at the following comment:

    https://stokessoundsoff.blogspot.com/2021/01/updated-current-apostolic-data.html?showComment=1612298533104#c8460944562218214776

    That said, I’m looking forward to any feedback anyone has on these predictions. My thanks once again to you all for your continued interest and ongoing support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did hear something, a general authority seventy while on assignment to a stake conference to reorganize the stake (saw this online as I was able to find the feed), said that in the first week of February that the Primary genereal presidency discussed the matter of 8-year-old baptisms with that meeting, and it was all of the general authority seventies.

    He said that presidency said that since the pandemic began, there bave been somewhat fewer 8-year-old baptisms. This apparently led to something in the recent instructions sent by our area presidency here in Utah as it showed in one of the two letters they sent out, one last week, and one this, that discussed meetings. The second was more about Primary meetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Anderson, thanks for stopping by to comment. Are you referring to the updated guidelines relative to Primary-aged children and their classes and activities, which were released by the Utah Area Presidency a couple of days ago? If so, I provided some basic analysis on that in the following comment posted on my blog that day:

      https://stokessoundsoff.blogspot.com/2021/02/breaking-temple-news-6-temples-will.html?showComment=1613161183269#c4163148560165162684

      Additionally, are you also suggesting that, in my predictions for the numerical data from the 2020 Statistical Report, particularly the number I noted for the potential increase in children of record, might be inaccurate? If so, do you have any specific insight about how to fix that particular item of data for that report?

      I just want to make sure that I understand what you were trying to convey in your comment here, so that, if resulting changes are needed in the data in question, I can keep your suggestion in mind when I make the needed adjustments to the predictions. Thanks for any clarification you can provide in relation to this matter. I always appreciate hearing from you.

      Delete
  3. The newsroom page has the three letters they released recently related to Covid guidelines together, and it is that most recent one that mephasized the need to focus on children turning 8 being baptized.

    Yes, the numbers may be off pace this year given what was said in that meeting. Since all of our area presidency was in that meeting they all heard what was said by the Primary general presidency. Things were going on pace until the pandemic hit then a lot of things apparently slipped even with earlier communication from the First Presidency as well. I would assume some baptisms took place. We had two I think in my ward where the average primary attendance is roughly 35 overall, many couples move out after having two or three children as they are in typically two-bedroom apartments designed for couples starting out so that accounts for the smaller primary.

    I would not say your predictions are off, I would say neither of us has the full picture, but it will be a smaller number than usual, how much we won't know until the figures come out during/after Conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim Anderson, thanks for taking time to clarify your observations here. I found one of the letters to which you referred in the following article from the Newsroom:

      https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/utah-area-covid-19-udpate-november-2020

      I could not find the other two letters to which you referred, unless you meant the following:

      https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/multimedia/file/Safely-Increasing-Activity-During-COVID-19.pdf

      https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/multimedia/file/utah-area-resource-covid-19.pdf

      I also found this video message from the Primary General Presidency, which may contain some of the information to which you are referring here:

      https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/video/2020-12-0010-create-primary-experiences-at-home?lang=eng

      Thanks also for providing perspective on the statistical report numbers I have calculated. I will look over that data again, especially the metric of "Increase in Children of Record". If there was a lower amount of those, then I will probably need to adjust that data specifically. Thanks again for stopping by to weigh in on this. I always appreciate hearing from you.

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.