Stokes Sounds Off: Temple Updates Provided

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Monday, July 30, 2018

Temple Updates Provided

Hello again, everyone! On this second-to-last day of July, I am pleased to post today to share some updates of which I have become aware in terms of temple developments. Let's get right into it. First, I have mentioned that, especially in view of President Nelson's reportedly extensive plans to expand the number of temples in a short period of time, there seems to be every likelihood that the Church will have at least 200 temples in operation by the 200th anniversary of the Church's reestablishment (which, as I have noted, will occur on Saturday April 6, 2030). With 30 temples in various phases, the Church would just need to complete each of those, and announce and complete 11 others in the 11.68 years between today and that date, which could be done if 3.51 temples were dedicated per year during that time.

As I also mentioned, although only 2 temple dedications will be held this year, there is already 1 temple dedication set for next year, and there are 5 other temples that will almost certainly be dedicated in 2019 as well. And with the 3 others under construction that are currently anticipated to be dedicated within the first 6-8 months of 2020, there will be 170 operating temples by around this time in 2020, by which time several other temples will likely have had a groundbreaking and could be close to dedication as well.

If there are a minimum of 170 temples dedicated by July 30, 2020, that would leave the Church 9 years, 8 months, and 7 days (9.68 decimal years) in which to build and dedicate those 30, which would then lower the number of temples that would need to be dedicated per year to 3.1. And if the initial word on President Nelson's temple-building plans is any indication whatsoever, that will be easy for the Church to do.

That said, let's briefly talk about the temple updates which I have found out about. We start with the Concepcion Chile Temple, where a new series of photographs have been posted on the LDS Church Temples Facebook page. It is good to see the progress on that temple, since its' open house begins in around 6.5 weeks.

We turn now to the Kinshasa DR Congo Temple, where the installation of walkways around temple grounds continues. As we are nearing the end of the typical July recess month for the apostles, I would anticipate that a dedication announcement could be made within the next 2-3 months, but perhaps sooner. It will be interesting to see how that unfolds, and whether or not that temple's dedication could be set to occur prior to the already-scheduled dedication of the Rome Italy Temple.

Next, I wanted to mention that I was able to find an update of sorts on the construction process for the Port-au-Prince Haiti Temple. I am not entirely sure how reliable the information in this video is, but someone posted what appears to be an update showing progress on this temple through Youtube. If any of you have any information on whether or not the updates in this video are valid, let me know.

A new video and photograph series has been posted on the LDS Church Temples Facebook page, which you can find at the link below. We at long last have an update for the Rio de Janerio Temple, which shows that exterior cladding is underway. Additionally, an article from a local paper about that temple was shared on Facebook earlier today, all of which you can find out more about on the aforementioned Facebook page.

We have yet another update on the Winnipeg Manitoba  Temple, where plies have been installed for the meetinghouse, and where preparation is underway to pour the foundation for that meetinghouse. As I mentioned previously, it is likely that the Church has more imminent need of the meetinghouse while the temple continues its' construction. I will pass along more as I learn of it.

And finally, some of you may have seen a recent comment on this blog from someone living close to the Raleigh North Carolina Temple. According to the information he provided in the comment, exterior framing and sheathing is now complete, weatherproofing has been attached to the temple's exterior, metal supports for stone attachment are being added around the exterior, and waterproofing is underway for the temple's newly-completed tower.

Before ending as I always do, I wanted to note that, while these updates are an encouraging sign, I do not see anything in the new information which would indicate a change is needed on any of the estimates I have previously offered. Stay tuned for more as I hear of it. I continue to monitor all such developments and will do my level best to pass those updates along as I learn of them.

That does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here, please feel free to subscribe to stay informed of newly-added content. Thank you for the privilege of your time. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

5 comments:

  1. I was able to visit the Raleigh Temple today and take a few pictures. Stone work is progressing on the east side of the temple. The stone work is almost to the top on the southeast corner. It looks like they are starting to hang drywall in part of the interior.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Justin! I recall you mentioning you would be visiting the temple in the near future. Great to hear about the progress that has been made for this temple. These are interesting developments, to be sure. I had recently shared my opinion that the more consistent updates we have seen reported for the Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple might indicate that that temple will potentially be rededicated before this one in Raleigh, for which far less progress has recently been reported. Based on what you shared above, I may need to reevaluate that again. Thanks again for the update, Justin. I always appreciate hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James, I clicked on the link you gave for a video about the Port-au-Prince temple. The video appears to be a computer simulation (and it's not an official one) of what the temple may look like when completed, not a reflection of its current construction status. (I have seen similar models of several other temples that were previously linked on the ldschurchtemples site.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for letting all of us know that, twinnumerouno! I think the main thing that threw me off about whether or not it detailed the current status is that the author of it uploaded a new version of the video earlier this year. I therefore made an assumption based on the information I could find.

    But it makes perfect sense that it is just an updated version of the architectural rendering. Good to know. Unless I missed something, that means that we have not recently seen an update on the status of the construction for not only the Port-au-Prince Haiti Temple, but also the renovation processes for the Asuncion Paraguay and Hamilton New Zealand Temple.

    With the latter, we did have some insights about that process shared via the comments of an earlier post on this blog from someone who (if memory serves) is affiliated with the MTC there, which included some rough ideas about what the renovation process might potentially involve.

    I also find it interesting that we are in early August and have not seen any temple groundbreakings as of yet. The last time something like that occurred (if my information is correct) was 2014. But it is looking more likely that President Nelson may be waiting to announce several groundbreakings at the same time, even if the time-frames of those groundbreakings are more spread out. I know that 2018 and 2019 were supposed to be big years for temple groundbreakings, and I also know that I have 3 in particular on my radar that we could hear about soon (although technically, there are also 4-6 others that may also have a groundbreaking within the next year or so).

    It will be interesting to see what happens there, which I will be sure to share here as I learn of it. In the meantime, I have several projects pending for the next week, including the 3 apostolic birthday tributes I mentioned, getting the updated list of locations that may have a temple announced finalized and published, and continuing coverage of all Church and temple news that is manifest during that time. As I also mentioned, next Sunday or the following one, a new post may be published to share the latest apostolic statistics I have been tracking. Stay tuned for all of that, and thanks again for answering my question. I always appreciate hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.