Stokes Sounds Off: Two Additional Church News Stories Reported

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Monday, July 30, 2018

Two Additional Church News Stories Reported

Hello again, everyone! I am back yet again, this time to cover two additional Church news stories which have been published within the last 10 hours or less. The Church News again continues to highlight landmark and significant addresses from Church leaders in their "From the Vault" Series. The focus of this week's article was on an address given by then-Elder Gordon B. Hinckley of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in October 1974 on the campus of BYU-Provo. Although President Hinckley's foremost legacy was his smaller temple-building program, which more than doubled the number of temples in the period of a few short years, he was also well-known as an eternal optimist.

In his aforementioned address, he spoke about how important optimism can be in our daily lives. He also talked about how being pessimistic, especially about things that are outside our ability to control, can dampen our spirits and weigh us down. By focusing on the positive (which does not necessarily mean ignoring the negative, bur rather not letting the good in our lives be outweighed by the bad, difficult, or challenging things), our lives take on a richer quality, and we are better equipped to deal with the hard times when they come. Both the summary of his address and the address itself are well worthy of your time.

The second and final new item I wanted to report on was how two "native sons of St. George", Elders Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and Steven E. Snow, Church Historian and Recorder, who is a General Authority Seventy, traveled "back home" to St. George this weekend for the rededication of the St. George Tabernacle. Also in attendance was Bishop Dean M. Davies, First Counselor in the Presiding Bishopric, who had a supervisory role in the tabernacle's renovation process. The Church News summary can find found here, with a more complete summary provided by the Deseret News here.

I continue to monitor all Church news and temple developments and will do my level best to bring word of those to you as I receive them. That does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to do so, please feel free to subscribe to stay informed of new content. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

3 comments:

  1. I love the St. George Tabernacle. I was raised in that town and miss it a lot. I have fond memories in there from a school program to firesides and other events. I don't get down there as much as I would like. I also miss President Hinkley. He was a great leader and has a lasting legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Chris! Thanks for commenting. I recall you mentioning that you were raised in St. George. My dad was as well, and he was also excited to hear about the rededication of the St. George Tabernacle. I don't remember if I mentioned this or not, but my dad's dad was one of the home teaching companions to a young "Jeff" Holland, and following his 1994 call to the apostleship, my grandfather wondered how a young man like that could have grown up to be an apostle of the Lord.

    I know that we have heard similar accounts of how the Primary or youth leaders of apostles and prophets have wondered about how such young men could go on to be apostles. It is an interesting reminder that as these men grew up in the Lord, they also matured a lot through a variety of experiences. Although similarities remain, my grandfather commented a time or two that the Jeff Holland with whom he went home teaching was different from the one we see in General Conference ever six months. It's an interesting process to watch.

    I likewise miss President Hinckley's optimism and humor. But we have a Church president currently who comes from a similar generation, and, like President Hinckley, President Nelson has been strong in his assertions about how the principles and doctrines of the Church never change, and in sharing messages of important principles we should be working to implement more fully into our lives. What a wonderful opportunity we have had and will continue to have to be led by such men. Thanks again, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to all my readers: I have an item of business I want to take care of. In my ongoing efforts to enhance my earnings from this blog, I have again taken time in the last 4-8 hours to again tweak the layout of this blog. I hope many of you find it to be better this way. If any of you have any suggestions about what might make it more user-friendly for you to navigate it, I would be happy to take those considerations on board as I make further adjustments to this layout. Thanks again to you all for your ongoing interest in the subjects I cover here.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.