Stokes Sounds Off: President Nelson in the Dominican Republic

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Monday, September 3, 2018

President Nelson in the Dominican Republic

Hello again, everyone! On this Labor Day 2018, I am posting for a very significant reason. Although technically, President Nelson visited the Saints in the Dominican Republic on Saturday before visiting the Saints in Puerto Rico yesterday, the Church News did not publish an account of his remarks from the first visit until earlier today.

In this article, the devotional held in the Dominican Republic (which was also broadcast by satellite to other islands in the Caribbean Area, is highlighted. And that article specifically mentioned that the remarks President Nelson gave at that devotional are believed to mark the first time a Church president has spoken to a congregation in their native language. It was nice to have that confirmed.

I also wanted to post a correction and clarification to something I reported earlier. When I originally detailed President Nelson's plans to visit the Caribbean, I was almost certain I had read that his wife, Sister Wendy Nelson, was coming along on the trip this weekend. But the article above specifically noted that Sister Nelson opted to stay home for this trip. I apologize for the misinformation I unintentionally provided.

In the meantime, as President Nelson follows in the tradition previously set by President Hinckley of just stopping between trips long enough to rest briefly and to pick up a new apostolic companion for the next destination, it makes sense that at times, the wife of the Church president would opt to sit out at least a few of those trips. While President Nelson reportedly has great energy (and continues to appear as though he is 20-30 years younger than his actual age of almost 94), the rigors of constant travel might take their toll on both his apostolic companion and on his wife.

I have not heard that this was the reason, but I make what seems to be a logical assumption. It is interesting to me that President Nelson would plan a weekend trip to the Caribbean Area around a month before General Conference, especially since he noted during his recent Canadian trips that his staff felt those would be brief stops he could make to continue his worldwide ministry tour while that would not interfere with his preparation for General Conference.

Anyways, getting back to the article cited earlier in this post, President Nelson's remarks, along with another address (in English) from Elder Dale G. Renlund and brief remarks from Sister Ruth L. Renlund, Caribbean Area President and General Authority Seventy Elder Walter F. Gonzalez, and his wife, Sister Zulma Gonzalez, comprised the layout of the devotional. You can read highlights of what was said by each in that article.

I continue to monitor all Church news and temple developments and will, to the best of my ability, pass word of those along to you all as I become aware of such updates. That does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly-added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.