Stokes Sounds Off: Temple Updates Provided

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Temple Updates Provided

Hello again, everyone! There have been a few more temple updates reported in the last several hours. I think I can pass them along without having to post my entire report again. So let's get right into all of them. We start with an update on the Kinshasa DR Congo Temple, which will, if all goes well, be the next to have a dedication scheduled. On the grounds of that temple, the installation of pavers and plants continues at a steady rate. The general time-frame for that temple's completion remains early-to-mid 2019, and I have ventured my opinion that a dedication is possible in mid-April.

At the Raleigh North Carolina Temple, stone cladding continues at a steady pace. As some of you may recall, a while ago, based on the progress I saw with the Baton Rouge Louisiana Temple, which has seemed to progress more consistently than the Raleigh Temple, I switched the two. Given the fact that we have seen an increased number of updates on the Raleigh renovation recently, I may be rethinking that.

Now to the big news: According to a report from a Church member in the Abidjan Ivory Coast, a groundbreaking for that temple is anticipated to be held on November 8 of this year. I hope that turns out to be the case. However, I looked for verification of this on the Church News website, and on the Church's official website (on both the News & Events page and the Newsroom), and I even consulted the Newsroom page for the Ivory Coast, which I had Google translate from French to English. The long and the short of it is that I have not yet found confirmation that this report is accurate. And there has been no release of an artist's rendering or an official site announcement.

I hope that this report does turn out to be true. That would give me hope that the Abidjan temple will have a groundbreaking this year in addition to the one in Bangkok. However, until this is officially confirmed in some way through official Church sources, I am taking this information with a grain of salt.

I continue to monitor all Church news and temple developments and will do my level best to pass word of those along to you all as I receive it. That does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, on any post at any time. Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly-added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

5 comments:

  1. Just an additional comment. After I posted this content above, several other sources confirmed the groundbreaking information for the Abidjan Ivory Coast Temple. While the official confirmation from the Church is still pending, given the increased mentions of this news, I have moved the Abidjan temple up on my list of announced temples so it sits below the Bangkok Thailand Temple. Since this was unexpected information, I think there may still be a possibility for the Church to hold more groundbreakings than the ones for Bangkok and Abidjan by the end of this year. Stay tuned for more information as I learn of it. Thanks again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New information received within the last hour indicates a few more developments:

    First of all, a new photograph posted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Temples Facebook page shows a construction barrier already in place and the contractor on location at the Urdaneta Philippines Temple. This may mean that work will begin on that temple in the near future without a groundbreaking, or it may also indicate that the contractor needs to do some work on the site before a groundbreaking is held. More on that as I find out more.

    In the meantime, I also found a few different sources which indicate that the main building on the site of the Bangkok Thailand Temple has still not been razed to make room for that temple, and it may not have even been fully vacated yet. This suggests that while a groundbreaking could occur for this temple by the end of the year (in view of President Nelson twice stating he did not see any obstacles hindering or delaying that process), there is an equal or greater chance that that groundbreaking might be delayed until early next year, and the announcement of that groundbreaking could come in conjunction with the announcement of the groundbreaking for the Pocatello Idaho Temple.

    Aside from that, designs are still underway for the temple in Saratoga Springs Utah, so I will be keeping my eyes open for news on that temple as well. Meanwhile, AFAIK, preliminary work still continues for the Lima Peru Los Olivos Temple. As we also know, the Saints in Kenya have confirmed that the site for the Nairobi Temple has been selected, but that location has yet-to-be-confirmed. That temple is anticipated to be smaller and is also anticipated to be dedicated sometime in 2021, so it seems reasonable to believe that a groundbreaking could occur within the next year.

    With sites having already been confirmed for the Brasilia Brazil and second Manila Philippines temples, those might have construction begin within the next year. As we also know, President Nelson spent some of his time in Harare looking at potential temple sites.

    As I also noted previously, the Church procured land for undisclosed projects in Layton Utah and Richmond Virginia sometime before those temples were announced last April. I don't see any reason why we could not see groundbreakings (or construction beginning in other ways) for each of these 12 temples within the next 18-36 months or less. And that would substantially clear the current backlog (leaving 7 others), which in turn would raise the likelihood of a new massive amount of temples being announced.

    Let me clarify: There has been, given the increased number of mentions by people privy to this information, we are almost certain to hear about how, in what manner, and to what extent President Nelson plans to expand the number of temples around the world during the upcoming General Conference.

    Either way, it will be interesting to watch things unfold. I continue to monitor all of this and will post ongoing updates as I become aware of new information. Thanks again to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. President Nelson will dedicate the Concepcion temple. Saw a post on the Church Temple Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Eric, for passing along that information. I saw that myself just a few moments ago. I have a big blog post coming in just a few minutes to share that news, among other developments of which I have recently received word. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.