Stokes Sounds Off: BREAKING NEWS: Church (and World) Invited to Celebrate President Nelson's 95th Birthday

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Thursday, March 14, 2019

BREAKING NEWS: Church (and World) Invited to Celebrate President Nelson's 95th Birthday

Hello again, everyone! The Church's Newsroom shared this report earlier today noting that members of the Church (and friends of other faiths) worldwide are being invited to a celebration which will be held in honor of President Nelson's 95th birthday this year. 5-year milestone celebrations have traditionally been held for presidents of the Church for a while now. President Hinckley had a 90th birthday celebration, and also a 95th, and President Monson had one in honor of his 85th birthday in 2012.

This celebration will be historically significant for another reason, as this is the first time in Church history that the first major milestone birthday celebrated by a Church President since his ordination will be a 95th birthday. We have seen the first such celebrations for other Church Presidents occur at the 80th, 85th, or 90th, but never the 95th as that first birthday. I hope the wording of that last sentence makes sense to you all.

As has been somewhat traditional as well, the celebration will be held on Friday September 6, before President Nelson's actual birthday (which he will observe the following Monday). The special guests and other particulars and details about the celebration will be announced as those arrangements are made. And the news release in question features a quote from President Nelson's right-hand man, President Oaks.

I had thought that the Church would be having such a celebration for President Nelson in this milestone year, and it is wonderful to have that confirmed. I will be sure to do my level best to bring you all word of any additional details I hear on this, as well as any and all Church news and temple developments, ASAP after I receive word of such things.

That does it for this post. Any and all comments are, as always, welcome and appreciated, on any post at any time, as long as such comments are made in accordance with the established guidelines Thank you for the privilege of your time. If you enjoyed what you read here and would like to stay informed of newly-added content, please feel free to subscribe. Until my next post, I wish each one of you all the best and pray that the Lord will bless you all in everything you do.

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to post a reminder here to all who are interested: Ground will be broken for the Pocatello Idaho Temple roughly 9 hours from now. I will plan on posting a report on that ASAP tomorrow (probably by early afternoon) once I find such a report.

    In the meantime, the Church News has continued to share new articles which may be of interest to some or all of you. I had hoped and planned to do a new post before now to highlight some of those newest stories, but have not been able to manage it as of yet. In the meantime, anyone who wants to can catch up on the latest via the official Church News website:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/

    Coverage particular to the dedication of the Rome Italy Temple can be found in the special section the Church News has established for that purpose:

    https://www.thechurchnews.com/category/italy-temple

    My thanks again to you all for your ongoing interest and support.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am back again to share two articles from the Idaho State Journal about the groundbreaking. The first one shares some insight into the historical nature of this groundbreaking:

    https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/pocatello-temple-groundbreaking-set-for-saturday-process-has-included-several/article_d4c10500-3391-5e88-964b-05c457a78a4e.html

    while a second describes how a hay tarp company, owned by a member of the Lutheran Church, helped the Church of Jesus Christ out with a need for the temple's groundbreaking:

    https://www.idahostatejournal.com/news/local/hay-tarp-company-aids-church-of-jesus-christ-during-groundbreaking/article_ad579165-f18c-5971-b160-6d8f73441050.html

    I am glad to see that such anticipation for the temple is growing.And I am glad to see that the Pocatello Idaho Temple is one of many things for which members of all faiths in the area are working together towards. One or two other things I should mention as well: The first article does note that construction on the Pocatello Idaho Temple is anticipated to begin shortly after the groundbreaking ceremony is held (and I have personally conjectured that this temple will only be in a "construction pending" status until sometime during Monday or Tuesday of next week), with that process anticipated to take 2-3 years to complete. At the moment, I am projecting an estimated general time-frame of mid-2022 for this temple, but could see a need to move that up or back depending on what the construction process entails.

    But I should also mention that coverage of that temple's groundbreaking will be available as well on the Church of Jesus Christ Temples' page for the Pocatello Idaho Temple:

    https://churchofjesuschristtemples.org/pocatello-idaho-temple/

    I should probably also mention that within the next week or two, based on what I have heard in various places and settings, I am anticipating some additional general Church news or temple developments will be reported. And I will do my level best to pass along word of all such major developments as I become aware of them.

    Again, I hope all of you, my readers, know how much I appreciate you and all that you have done to contribute to the dialogue about topics I have covered here. If all goes well, I hope to be back in 10-12 hours or so with a report on Pocatello'd groundbreaking ceremony. Stay tuned for that, and thanks again, everyone!

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.