Stokes Sounds Off: I wasn't able to get the job

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

I wasn't able to get the job

Sad news today. I had another bad night last night and wasn't able to get much sleep  at all. The one upside to that was that I was able to get to the long list of phone calls I needed to make today sooner than I had planned. My very first call was to Kelly Services. I followed up on the job offer.

The Kelly Services representative that had left me the message about the job opportunity with Ancestry.com told me that, unfortunately, given what I had explained about time I would need off for the Stokes family Christmas get-together in a few days (as my sister's family will only be in town for about a week longer), the upcoming medical appointments I had (though I would have been happy to reschedule any over which I had control, there was one, my January appointment with Dr. Weinstein, where I was at the mercy of when she could see me at her one day a month clinic at PCMC and over which I therefore had no control and would need time off), and the ever-present possibility of not being able to work at times due to not being able to control my symptoms, to say nothing of the temporary period of time the initial opportunity entailed, they felt it wouldn't be a good fit for me. They told me they weren't able to offer me this position, given everything.

It is a delicate situation, and while I am devastated, Amy is feeling much worse. Thanks to my stupidity at various times during the last six years, our marriage is not in the very best of places right now. I am hoping we can weather this storm. Before I found out about the possibility of this position, Amy expressed some concerns she had about how fragile our relationship has become over the course of our marriage, and she also let me know she has been wondering with alarming frequency lately if we did the right thing getting married. I appreciate knowing of her worries in this matter, but now I am worried too. The very last thing I want to do is lose her because I have been stupid and careless during our marriage.

My one consolation is that after I had my conversation with my home teachers and Amy last night, I am resolved to take any position of which I am physicially capable that would fit the unique situation I am facing. And I know now that, if it comes right down to it, I can put how I am feeling aside in favor of providing for my family. It's just that, in this case, there was nothing I could have done about it.

I seek an interest in your continued prayers in our behalf. Thanks to my selfishness during our marriage up to now, I have jeopardized our relationship over and over. Thankfully, Amy has always been so willing to forgive my carelessness and self-centeredness and let go of her hurt feelings in favor of continuing our relationship. She has taken the covenants she made in the temple with much great seriousness and sincerity than I have ever done. At least now I know that, if I can find a good fit that would be willing to make allowances for my unique situation, I am determined to do everything I can to make it work. I only hope it is not too little, too late.

Thanks to you all for your continued interest, support, and sympathy. Any comments are welcome and appreciated.

6 comments:

  1. Melaleuca here in Idaho Falls Idaho has a call center. One of the positions is very part time it's called hot shot. It has hours such as one Saturday a month and the last two days of the month with opportunities for picking up extra shifts when you want.
    It might be less than part time on average. But given your health, it might be few enough days to not wear you out too much. There are also opportunities for advancement. You may have to move, but it would not hurt to check it out. We are only about three hours from Salt Lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Chris! Things have worked out, though. And, as I've previously mentioned, given my medical issues, the fact that I've got access to the doctors and insurance I need, and because both my family and my wife's family are here in Utah, relocation is not a feasible option, even if it means an easy employment opportunity. I appreciate your concern, though. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion, Chris! Things have worked out, though. And, as I've previously mentioned, given my medical issues, the fact that I've got access to the doctors and insurance I need, and because both my family and my wife's family are here in Utah, relocation is not a feasible option, even if it means an easy employment opportunity. I appreciate your concern, though. Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand. All my relatives except my own little family live in Utah as well. My wife's family is either in Illinois or Mongolia. I know you don't want to change doctors. Idaho Falls is also one of the most affordable places to live if the need arises. We are just straight up I-15.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the thought. We will definitely keep that in mind should it ever become necessary. Thanks again for your concern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the thought. We will definitely keep that in mind should it ever become necessary. Thanks again for your concern.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.