Stokes Sounds Off: Problems with my anniversary gift to Amy

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Problems with my anniversary gift to Amy

Dear readers, sorry to post again on Christmas Eve. I hate the thought that my regular posts may be distracting from the reason for the season and from your time with your families. But I would appreciate your continuing prayers in behalf of my wife Amy and myself.

Such prayers are needed because of two things: I recognize what a miracle the job I was able to get is, but I am having some doubts and fears about my ability to handle it well, especially since I have been having a lot of pain this weekend.

Only adding to this frustration is the problems I've encountered with the delivery of my anniversary gift for Amy. It was supposed to have been a jewelry set with an opal inlay. I thought it would be nice for her because opal is her mom's birthstone, and, as many  of you are aware, Amy lost her mom to complications of the incurable and untreatable type of MS she had since Amy was about 10. So, knowing that opal meant something to her, I planned my gift so it would hopefully get here before Christmas.

It arrived today. While she loves the appearance of the set I got her, the opal was not what was delivered to us. I have looked into the relevant return policies from the shipper, and it sounds as though, unless I can convince them to make an exception in my case because the error is on their part, I will have to pay through the teeth to get it returned, and it may be a hassle I don't need on top of everything else we are going through to get the correct one sent out.

I am hoping I can talk to someone from the company from which I purchased it before I go in for my first day of work on Monday and get something worked out, but with how much I've been having trouble sleeping and becoming alert when I have been able to force myself to wake up and get out of bed, I don't know if there will be time or energy on my part to get anything resolved on this before I go in for work for my first day on Monday. Additionally, I was informed by the automated system when I called today that, due to high holiday call volume expected during the first two days of the week, it would be wiser to hold off until Wednesday or later to call.

But I can't wait that long. I waited long enough for the thing to get here, and it is the company's fault entirely that they failed to send me what I actually ordered. I am hoping they will make allowances for their error in this case, since their negligence is not my fault, but this is a post-anniversary and Christmas hassle we just don't need on top of absolutely everything else that is going on.

And so, I would ask you all to keep me in your prayers that I might be able to successfully handle this great new job opportunity, and that I might be able to quickly resolve the situation with my anniversary gift to Amy as quickly and as painlessly as conveniently possible.

I also received word from one of my regular readers who also regularly comments on my blog posts, L. Chris Jones, that he has had reduced hours at work lately and is also in need of prayers. If all of you who read this could keep Amy and I and Chris in your prayers, it would mean more during this Christmas season than I can say. Thanks, as always, for your continued prayers and expressions of kindness, sympathy, understanding, and support.

5 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate when deliveries and gifts do not work out as planned, especially surrounding sentimental dates and meaningful relationships.
    Sorry to hear about your wife's early loss of your mom. I found that since my mother's death that there are a couple people in my ward that remind me of her and I spend a little more time with them. Some of them have needs that require a little extra time anyway.
    It's frustrating to not have work or enough hours paid. I probably do not pray formally enough, but thoughts and prayers (and I think blogging and writing) to me count as active interactions of faith with God.
    And actual actions are very valid. Visiting with members, non-members, family, temple work, supporting elders and sisters in their efforts...
    I pray that God will continue to prosper you and keep you protected. And your desires are answered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to write *her mom, your mother-in-law. There are living sisters that could use her and your care and attention, and they will reciprocate that affection. But there is no replacement, that must await. Stay true.
    Happy holidays despite current trials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to write *her mom, your mother-in-law. There are living sisters that could use her and your care and attention, and they will reciprocate that affection. But there is no replacement, that must await. Stay true.
    Happy holidays despite current trials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is unfortunate when deliveries and gifts do not work out as planned, especially surrounding sentimental dates and meaningful relationships.
    Sorry to hear about your wife's early loss of your mom. I found that since my mother's death that there are a couple people in my ward that remind me of her and I spend a little more time with them. Some of them have needs that require a little extra time anyway.
    It's frustrating to not have work or enough hours paid. I probably do not pray formally enough, but thoughts and prayers (and I think blogging and writing) to me count as active interactions of faith with God.
    And actual actions are very valid. Visiting with members, non-members, family, temple work, supporting elders and sisters in their efforts...
    I pray that God will continue to prosper you and keep you protected. And your desires are answered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Eduardo, for your kind comments above. I tried to get some things resolved this morning before my first day of work, but everywhere I called, they were observing the holiday today. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.