Stokes Sounds Off: We have been the recipients of a miracle

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Friday, December 16, 2016

We have been the recipients of a miracle

I know I posted a comment about this on my last post, but I wanted to make it an official blog post topic for today. We have been the recipients of a miracle, the likes of which we never would have been able to believe had it not happened to us personally.

Today (the 16th) is my 30th birthday. Since my wife's nephew and I share a birthday, Amy's family has habitually visited me for my birthday the night before my special day. And so, yesterday night (the 15th), they did visit us.

We appreciated their visit. We have not been around them a lot lately because health has prevented it. But their visit brought us much needed comfort.

As if that weren't enough, I was beyond grateful for the many prayers and expressions of love and support we have received. We have been the recipients of a Christmas miracle for which I at least am most unworthy. The details aren't important. But suffice it to say that, thanks to things happening the way they did, we will be more than okay throughout the rest of this month, until I get my next check from the government. Our Christmas miracle, such as it was, was a direct answer to our prayers, and we will be forever grateful for the reminder that the Lord does hear and answers prayers. And sometimes, those answers come in the least expected way.

Maybe it's not much by the standards of others, but it means the world to us. And the really amazing thing about the whole situation is that the Lord has always seemed to know whenever we do need the help. I have been bailed out of situations created by my own stupidity and poor choices more than I can count. We wish we didn't, need such miracles, but we are grateful that the Lord knows our needs and meets them in miraculous and unexpected ways.

I am eternally and everlastingly grateful for this additional witness and confirmation to us that the Lord is very much aware of our situation, and, in His mercy, He always sends what we need when we need it. I am humbled and overwhelmed. I feel we can truly say, as have so many others in the past, that God is in His heaven, and all is right with the world.

Thanks to all who have so willingly offered help and prayers in our behalf. We appreciate it more than we can ever express. We hope that, at some point, the Lord will bless us to the point where we can pay it forward and do for others what has been so willingly done for us. Thanks again.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, James! I was thrilled to read this wonderful news of a very timely monetary gift. God is so good. I held a special fast on Tuesday, December 13, for the friends and family in my life (including you) who have been facing challenging circumstances. It is testimony building to see this miracle come to pass. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rick! We have been amazed and almost at times overwhelmed by the very swift answer we got to our prayers for help. We have seen our direct answer to those prayers. God is indeed good. I was touched by your report of your special fast. I had not known about that. I thank you very much for being such a good friend, and for being willing to do without hesitation everything you could for us. We have appreciated and felt the effect of the many prayers that have been offered in our behalf. It is almost too much to take in and contemplate how speedily the Lord saw fit to answer our petitions about our situation. And, as I noted in this post, it is almost uncanny how in tune Amy's family has seemed to be regarding when we have needed help. Obviously, we would prefer to not need that help, but we are quick to accept it as the miracle for which we and so many in our behalf have been praying. Again, thank you for your prayers, concern, and support. We appreciate you. You will always and forever be a good friend to us. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.