Stokes Sounds Off: Refining yet again my predictions for when future temple-related events may be announced and scheduled

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Refining yet again my predictions for when future temple-related events may be announced and scheduled

Recent events and announcements have led me to revise what I feel will be the most likely timeline prevailing in regards to when future temple-related events will be announced and scheduled. Based on information found on Rick Satterfield’s excellent LDS Church Temples website, I have taken yet another look at the progress that has been made and have felt to revisit my projections as follows”

(Edits to the rest of this post became necessary on 1/5/17 in light of new information I received)
Late breaking news posted on the LDS Church Temples website just today (the 5th) indicates that the Arequipa Peru temple has jumped to the top spot in terms of near future imminent groundbreakings and an announcement of such an event is anticipated to happen very shortly. Whether or not that will coincide in any way with the site announcement and announced groundbreaking ceremony for the temple in Harare Zimbabwe is anyone's guess. I welcome thoughts about that very subject.

In light of the new information, I feel safe in predicting that we will very shortly have an announcement of the groundbreaking for the Arequipa Peru temple,whether that is before or coinciding with the Harare site announcement and groundbreaking. Both could be announced before January 15th. The actual groundbreakings for both temples may take place within the same period of time, which has historically been 4-6 weeks following the announcements of such events. 

At this point, the two seem to be interchangeable in terms of when things might get started. I could definitely see both taking place before General Conference. I will try to be conservative in this estimate and say we may see these events happen by late February or early March. Given the mere 2 1/2 weeks we saw between the announcement of the groundbreaking for the temple in Winnipeg, which is, to the best of my knowledge, the shortest such period in Church history in which such events have occurred, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of either groundbreaking ceremony happening much sooner than that. 

But the general rule I have observed regarding the prevailing timetables in such events seems to be roughly between 4-6 weeks. I welcome feedback on this timetable from those who may feel inclined to give it.

Speaking of Harare, if current plans hold, the temple there may become the first such edifice outside the United States which will have a groundbreaking within less than a year after the temple announcement. If its construction commences at that time, for the very first time in Church history, three temples will simultaneously be undergoing construction on the African continent. 

Stay tuned for news of that site announcement and groundbreaking information whenever it happens. In the coming days, we will hear more about such events for Harare and for Arequipa, I am reasonably sure. One thing of which I am 100% certain: You can depend upon hearing from me on what happens there as soon as I can let you know after I hear about it.

And of course, in terms of imminent temple events, we cannot forget the already-scheduled dedication in Paris France on May 20 and the rededication on June 4 for the Idaho Falls Idaho Temple. That rededication is anticipated to precede the dedication of Idaho’s next temple in Meridian within a very short time later.

Speaking of the Meridian Idaho temple, no notable progress has been made on the construction there since my last post about the imminent scheduling of future events.  However, I still feel strongly regarding my prediction that a dedication date for the Meridian Idaho Temple is likely to be announced within the next 3 or 4 months, and the dedication itself will likely happen in early August.

In Cedar City, no major progress has been reported since I last ventured my predictions about a completion date there. However, there is still reason to believe that the dedication could be announced within the next six months, if not sooner, and might take place in late August or early September.

As I stated last time, Tucson is so close to Cedar City’s level of completion that they are neck-and-neck in terms of a future completion date. With no notable progress made since I last posted something like this, it wouldn’t be surprising to me to see the Tucson and Cedar City dedications scheduled for around the same time, with an announcement of these events within 6 months and the actual events in late August or early September.

The Jordan River temple has not had any reported progress lately either. However, with that being said. I am still holding out hope that the renovation could be completed around August, with the rededication being announced about a month later and scheduled for either late November or early December 2017. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if things speed up somehow and that rededication takes place around the events of the Tucson and Cedar City temples. Stay tuned for more on that as I learn of it.

In spite of any reassurance to the contrary, I am of the opinion that the delays we have seen in Rome will prevent it from being completed before the Kinshasa temple. Right now the temple interior work is still in progress in Rome. I wouldn’t be surprised if a dedication for Kinshasa was announced during the spring of 2018, with the actual dedication to follow, perhaps sometime in May or June. In Kinshasa right now, the exterior walls are being built.

Meanwhile, mammoth progress has been reported in the renovation of the Frankfurt Germany Temple of late, but nothing new since my last update. However, I feel sure that the renovation of Germany’s other temple will be completed within the same timeframe as that of the Kinshasa dedication. Rome might be the next one completed, but a dedication might not take place until August or September, after the annual July recess for General Authorities. That estimation is me speaking optimistically based on my observation of the completion progress in Rome.

Concepcion, where building wrap has been attached to the exterior walls, and where landscaping structures are being added, will likely have a dedication announcement within the first half of 2018, with the dedication itself to follow sometime in either August or September, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was to even precede Rome in that milestone.

The temple in Durban South Africa has not progressed much lately either. Even though I always anticipated delays in that construction in view of my mother’s report of the work ethic that prevails in South Africa (she happens to be a South African native with no small familiarity on this point), I feel confident that the temple will be completed within a similar time frame to that which is almost certain for Concepcion. I am therefore predicting that the announcement for the dedication will be made around the same time as that for Concepcion and Rome, within the first half of 2018, with the dedication actually scheduled for August or September as well.

In Winnipeg, where the temple is being built, as I have before mentioned, to initially serve just the one stake there, no progress has been reported as of yet above and beyond the groundbreaking. But given the projected construction window of 20 months, the completion month will likely be somewhere around August 2018. It appears that temple dedication announcements precede actual events by a few months. I would therefore expect and am predicting that the Winnipeg dedication will take place in either late November or else early December 2018. It wouldn’t surprise me if a similar timeline held true for the temple in Barranquilla Colombia, which is further along in terms of construction (walls are currently being poured for the steeple base), but will be a much larger edifice.

In the meantime, for the first time in doing such predictions, I feel bold enough to project completion dates for the two temples anticipated to be completed sometime around 2019. The temple in Fortaleza Brazil had a five year span between the groundbreaking and the actual commencement of construction. However, it is progressing rapidly. Recent reports indicate that the second floor exterior walls have now been poured. This makes it increasingly more likely that construction will be completed there within the early months of 2019, with the actual dedication taking place in either April or perhaps possibly May. This is great to think about. Construction took forever to get started, and now it is speedily progressing at an astonishing rate.

The Lisbon Portugal temple was the last temple to have a groundbreaking in 2015. Right now, excavation is well underway for the temple itself and the adjacent utility building. In the meantime, structural framing has begun on the on-site meetinghouse. It is amazing to see how all that has happened in such a short time. Based on that, a similar time frame may be very likely to prevail as that which I have proposed above for the Fortaleza temple. It would not surprise me if these two traded spots a couple of times in terms of future completion. But right now, it seems safe to say that.

Any other temples that may be completed in 2019 have not yet had a groundbreaking. Based on my observations here, the Church is well on track to add 4 new operating temples by the end of 2017, and six more in 2018. Two temples may be rededicated this year, with the only other one currently undergoing renovation on track to be completed next year. If this happens, it would almost completely reduce and eliminate any semblance of a backlog in temple progress, and makes it extraordinarily more likely that many more temples could be announced within the next two years. The exact number of those announcements remains to be seen, though I have given my feelings on what I feel are the most likely and most imminent picks.

Future groundbreakings may be more unpredictable to anticipate than I originally thought. I look at the groundbreaking in Winnipeg, and it happened much faster than usual. Zimbabwe, for the reasons outlined above, will be very historic in terms of what it means for the future of the Church in Africa.

After the groundbreakings in Peru and Zimbabwe, since I have followed temple developments very closely lately, I see the next groundbreaking taking place for the first Haitian temple in Port-au-Prince. I have no reason to back this up. It’s just how I feel, and we could have the site announcement and the groundbreaking by spring of next year. This seems especially likely given the delays I have noted in the construction beginning in Rio de Janeiro Brazil.

A groundbreaking for Bangkok could happen by the end of 2017 or the beginning of 2018.  For the temple in Rio, I could see any remaining delays being cleared up and a groundbreaking being announced and taking place within the first six months of next year. I wouldn't rule out having that happen sooner, but that's what I feel may happen based on my observations. The same timetable may prevail for the Abidjan temple. Who knows how long the currently reported delays in Urdaneta might last. I might venture to say that the remaining temples (the three others announced last year) might well have a groundbreaking by or before 2019. Since things are so very unpredictable and up in the air on this point, anyone’s thoughts on this are probably more informed than mine may be.

And I’m sure that, given the nature and unpredictability of temple announcements in terms of potential locations and actual construction commencement may be such that, by the time any or all of these events happen, more temples may be announced and have construction started. At this point, I cannot rule anything out in these terms.

Thanks, as always, for taking time to read and (if you feel so inclined) respond to this post. It is only thanks to your continued thoughtful feedback that I am able to fine-tune my predictions. And I will always try to keep an eye on temple-related progress and will do my best to report that news and any updates just as soon as I become aware of them, though obviously my ability to do so will depend entirely on how soon I can hear of such developments. Thanks again.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your list of temple construction events and predictions, James.

    One word of advice relating to this statement you made:

    "Harare, as I have before observed, holds the distinction in Church history of being the first temple outside the United States to have a groundbreaking within less than a year after the temple announcement. When its construction commences, it will also mean that for the very first time in Church history, construction will be underway simultaneously on 3 temples on the African continent. It’s amazing to consider it in those terms."

    Since the date has not yet officially been set for groundbreaking for the Harare temple, I would recommend in the future keeping uncertain events uncertain, until they have officially been announced. This will prevent making false predictions or inaccurate information for those searching for info on the Harare temple or other temples. For example, you could word it this way:

    "Harare, if all goes according to plan, MAY hold the distinction in Church history of being the first temple outside the United States to have a groundbreaking within less than a year after the temple announcement. IF its construction commences AT THAT TIME, it will also mean that for the very first time in Church history, construction will be underway simultaneously on 3 temples on the African continent."

    Hope this is helpful. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How right you are, Jonathan! Thanks for that advice. It was well needed. I like that wording so much, if you don't mind, I will take action to immediately incorporate it as is for clarification. I did not think of that. Don't worry. I will fully credit you for this change. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, in order to make this my work and to not have to worry about people wondering what else of this post might be someone else's suggested wording, I have attempted to make it my own. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. I would always rather be more accurate than speculative. And it is a very valid point that until it is definite, there is no way to know for sure if any of this will actually be true. If there's one consistent thing about temple-related developments, it is their inconsistency and unpredictability. Let me know if the wording is not sufficiently fixed. Thanks again, Jonathan! Glad you enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. You were the inspiration for it, my friend! Thanks for alerting me to this. And I will be editing it again right after posting this comment in light of new game-changing news posted on the LDS Church Temples site about the construction commencement for the Arequipa Peru temple. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.