Stokes Sounds Off: Temple Milestones in the Near Future

Search This Blog

Leaderboard

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Temple Milestones in the Near Future

Hello, all! Today marks a special day indeed. The cultural celebration for the Tucson Arizona Temple will be held exactly two weeks from today, with the dedication following the very next day. Two months from today, both the Tokyo Japan and Memphis Tennessee Temples will close for their renovation projects (with the Memphis renovation anticipated to last until 2019, and that of Tokyo anticipated to last anywhere from 6-8 months longer than that.) If what I have heard is any indication, we are likely to see at least a few temple announcements during October General Conference. Two weeks after General Conference, we have the closure of the Oklahoma City Oklahoma Temple, and that event itself will be followed two weeks later (three months from today) by the groundbreaking for the temple in Port-au-Prince Haiti. As previously noted, Haiti's first temple will be considerably smaller than the only other temple in the Caribbean, which took 4 years and 1 month. I have ventured my estimate that construction on this first Haitian temple will take roughly 1.5 years less to construct than that first temple (as the 2 year, 7 month estimate feels reasonable). I further found out that the Port-au-Prince Haiti Temple design is anticipated to be somewhat similar to that of the Kinshasa DR Congo Temple. And the very next day,the Asuncion Paraguay Temple will close for its renovation.

While we look forward to these milestones, there have not been many other developments in terms of those temples currently under construction, undergoing renovation, or announced. I did hear, however, that the Port-au-Prince site is being cleared. All going well, work should begin in earnest on that temple the Monday following the groundbreaking, rather than having it sit for days or weeks in the "construction pending" section.

What is not so clear is how soon we might see work begin in earnest on the Winnipeg Manitoba Temple. As I have previously noted, until that happens, I have renumbered the temples that are comparatively further along. Whenever that changes, I will reorder the temples based on whenever we can expect  Winnipeg to be completed. I daily hope for news on any temple, and will be sure to pass along any updates that come my way.

Until that time, thanks for the privilege of your time. Comments continue to be welcome and appreciated. Have a great weekend, and I will be back very soon with the next post. Until that time, all the best to all of you!

4 comments:

  1. I still wonder what the delay is for the Winepeg Manitoba temple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Chris! As far as the Winnipeg Temple goes, the delays have happened for two reasons: First, Canadian weather prevented construction for at least the first four or five months after the groundbreaking (they had an awful winter). And since that time, if what I have heard is correct, there has been some delay on the part of the government, who have delayed the process of acquiring the necessary permits. As I understand it, all going well, we could see construction begin there within the next two months. But based on the past delays, that might not happen until sometime after the construction begins in earnest on the Port-au-Prince Haiti Temple. I sincerely hope that will not happen. The best any of us can do is to continue to pray that the construction of temples can progress unhindered. Hope that helps. Thanks for the comment, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first thought it was the winter, but we are well into summer and wondered if there was more to the delay. I hope and pray we get the permits soon. I am hoping we remove the delays for the temple in Urdaneta Philippines. It is the longest waiting temple currently announced. I also hope for more groundbreakings this year or early next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the winter until April or May of this year, as the Canadian winter this year was much worse than it usually has been. Ever since, it has been an issue with the permits. I hope for news about Winnipeg soon. I have hoped for news of progress on this temple every week since this temple's groundbreaking last December. At this point, there is an equal chance that this temple could have earnest work begin in the near future, or that work could be delayed another month or two at minimum. One thing you can depend on is that I will pass anything along as I hear word of it.

      Additionally, Urdaneta was announced in October 2010, so it will mark seven years without progress in just over two months. I had heard at the beginning of this year that a groundbreaking could happen prior to or in the beginning months of 2018, and that became more likely when the delays ended for that temple. In the meantime, nothing has changed for this temple from that time. I am still studying how likely any other groundbreakings might be to happen during either the three months before the one for Port-au-Prince, or in the two months following before the end of the year.

      Until more is known, I think it is safer to assume that the Port-au-Prince temple will be the last groundbreaking held in 2017. I also think it may be safe to assume that the second Lima Peru temple may be the first one to have a groundbreaking in 2018, followed by the Harare temple, then Urdaneta, and that the year may be rounded out with groundbreakings in Saratoga Springs, Brasilia, and finish out with the second Manila temple. It seems safe to assume. I will be sure to report any changes to this line of thought as they come to my attention. Thanks, as always, for the comments, Chris!

      Delete

In addition to my life-long love for the subjects which I cover in the posts of this blog, I have long held the belief that we can disagree without becoming disagreeable. Differences of opinion are natural, while being disagreeable in expressing those differences is not. And in that sense, I have no desire to close the door on anyone who earnestly desires to contribute to the ongoing dialogue on subjects covered in the posts on this blog.

At the same time, however, I recognize that we live in a time when incivility, discourtesy, unkindness, and even cyber-bullying has regrettably become part of online interactions. With that in mind, while anyone who wishes can comment on anything if they choose to do so, I hereby reserve the right to immediately delete any comments which are critical, unkind, lack civility, or promote prodcuts, services, and values contrary to either the Church, or to the rules of online etiquette.

I'd also like to remind all who comment here that I try to respond personally to each individual comment as I feel is appropriate. Such replies are not meant to end the conversation, but to acknowledge earnest feedback as it is submitted.

And in order to better preserve the spirit and pure intentions for which this blog was established, I also hereby request that anyone not commenting with a regular user name (particularly those whose comments appear under the "Unknown" or "Anonymous" monikers, give the rest of us a name to work with in addressing any replies. If such individuals do not wish to disclose their actual given names, a pseudonym or nickname would suffice.

Any comments made by individuals who opt to not give a name by which they can ber identified may, depending on the substance and tone of such comments, be subject to deletion as well. I would respectfully ask that all of us do all we can to keep the dialogue positive, polite, and without malice or ill-will. May the Lord bless us all in our discussion of these important matters.